Can I run a 10 inch JL audio and a 12 inch JL audio off same amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to run a 10w3v2 dual 2 ohm voice coil with a 12w0 single 4 ohm voice coil. I believe I should be able to put the dual voice coil in series to get 4 ohms and then run the 12w0 in parallel which should drop the resistance down to 2 ohms. I am just curious if there is a problem with running two different models and sizes. I would think that the amp only cares about the load that it sees, but what about the subs? Am I right in thinking that as long as each sub has the same resistance each will be pushed the same? Thanks, Scott

Just run both subs in their own enclosures not shared--keep them away from each other. If possible, tune both of the subs to the same response so they track each other. As long as neither woofer is over driven, it is not an issue. Sub bass is great, you can be an utter bone head and not screw it up. Above 200 Hz things get a lot more picky...above 1,000 Hz rules must be followed.

I would run both subs in their own sealed enclosure tuned to the same F3. The two different subs won't see the "exact" resistance, the impedance varies with frequency and one sub will be louder than the other (look at sensitivity ratings) The amp does not care as long as the impedance does not drop below it's minimum impedance spec.

If you are worried about folks giving you hassle about two different sizes, just tell them it is a passive radiator. A single 10" with a 12" passive radiator--most people don't know what that is and you might gain points from a unique design (in car audio anyway)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.