Rockford Fosgate Power 1000a2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello again Perry. I have a rockford power 1000a2 that is doing something I have never encountered before. The board number is a PC-2392E.

The right channel never had any sound when I recieved the amp about 5 years ago. Since then I have come along way in my repairs, so it was sitting on the shelf collecting dust and I kinda just found it again.

I replaced all the output fets in the right channel years ago and never went any further. The left channel has great sound. The right channel has great sound for about 3 seconds then just fizzes out to nothing at all. Amp idles fine no current issues. Can I get a heads up on where to start??

Ok I will try but it happens so fast. I hear the sine wave clear and loud for a few seconds then it gets real quiet. You can still hear the sound but at very low volume. No matter how loud you turn the volume it just stays at the same low volume. Does not sound distorted either, just really quiet. If you turn the amp down then back up it is loud for a second or 2 then like someone is turning down the volume. Like waiting for a cap to charge then discharge ya know? I will try my best to snap a pic. Scope settings? 5vol/div 5 us ?

No the signal does not change only in amplitude as you increase the volume. Both sides look identical, when the sounds drops off with a speaker connected and without a speaker connected. The signal is different from idle to volume but I think its just amplification. Would you like a photo of idle and volume output on the scope from the positive terminals from those two caps???

Correct they remain the same in amplitude before and after the sound drops off. I have the scope set to .2 vol/div and 5us

The sound drops off really fast like almost instant. When you increase the volume the amplitude increases at both points and looks identical at both points.

Shall I use a different test point?

With no audio, does the voltage across R208 and R308 remain the same after the point where the audio would drop off?

Look at the signal on the speaker terminal of the right channel and confirm that there is no distortion after the level drops.

With no audio the voltage on R208 is -8.69vdc
With no audio the voltage on R308 is +8.69vdc

I have not checked these with audio but without they hold that voltage and do not chabge.

The right channel output looks nothing like the left. The left looks just like the signal on the + terminals of the caps I tested.

The right channel at idle has a giant saw tooth wave form and then when volume increses it goes nuts all over the screen and is not readable.

Make any sense?

I am including three pics the first is at idle, second volume at 2, third volume at 4, after that you cant even see it. These are from the faulty channel.

Attachments

• Power 1000a2 wave form 001.jpg
    Power 1000a2 wave form 001.jpg
    955.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Power 1000a2 wave form 002.jpg
    Power 1000a2 wave form 002.jpg
    827.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Power 1000a2 wave form 003.jpg
    Power 1000a2 wave form 003.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 44
The power supply fets for that channel (assuming the amp has separate power supplies for each channel) have 13.87 on the drain and source but 0.00vdc on the gate legs. Is that half of the amp not turning on? Do I have defective power supply fets or a defective transformer for that channel?

What supplies the power to the gates of the power supply fets? Obviously that is where I should be looking because the other side is getting power to the gates. There is 2 TL494C PWM chips one for each channel shall I post voltages from the faulty channels PWM chip?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.