Coustic 400SE : powers on in protect

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have this Coustic 400SE amp here that is powering up in protect. There are no obvioulsy blown/shorted outputs or power supply fets even. Checked every one of them with the meter and everything looks normal there. Upon applying remote turn on power to the amp it comes on with a red light indicating protection. If you leave it on for a few minutes it will randomly try to come out of protect for a second or two and then go right back into protect. Not really sure where to start with this one. It looks like the power supply driver IC is mounted on a little vertical board in the power supply area but it has been ground down so much you can't even see the clock mark.

Here are a couple pics:

Coustic1.jpg

Coustic2.jpg

After looking at the driver board in the tutorial I am thinking that these two driver boards are essentially the same however the one in this amp doesn't have as many smd caps in it. Next time I get a chance I am going to check those caps to see if they are shorted. In any of these that you have worked on Perry did they behave like this amp as in they would power on in protect and then try to power on every so often?

Pulled the rectifiers and the amp powers on no problem. Power supply is functioning properly at this point. Put back in one set of rectifiers at a time(one in each supply) and narrowed the problem down to one channel. Not sure how but the first time through I missed a pair of shorted outputs(TIP35C). Clipped the TIP35c's out of the circuit and put the other set of rectifiers back in and now with all rectifiers in the amp it powers on and idles normally. So I have a channel I need to repair. Other than the outputs,drivers,and emitter resistors is there anything else in this particular amp that may need to be inspected/repaired/replaced?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.