Need Help wiring in Lanzar MNX450 on Harley

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Checked the other Lanzar threads and didn't find the answer I was looking for so for a first post here goes!

Got a MNX450 mini amp, need as much room as you can get on a Road Glide to tuck it under the faring. The Head unit is a Harmon Kardon HD stock CD/Radio with 4 channel output 2 ohm unit.

I have installed 4 Rockford Fosgate 6.5 speakers and want to drive them each off one of the channels. There are no RCA connections coming out of the HD radio, however I have the proper pins from the dealer and can create the wires directly out of the harness for the radio from the output and wire straight to the amp.

On the MNX450 you either input by RCA or, Hi Input via twisted pair, there are 4 RCA and two Twisted Pair inputs,

The twisted pair have three wires each + - + on each side where the + is a channel and a ground so it's Ch1+ Neutral- Ch2+ , on the other side is Ch3 + Neutral- Ch4+

Output from the HK head unit is separate + and - wires for each channel

It appears as if the Lanzar is wanting a common - input so would you connect both - pairs to the single input - on the connector?

so Ch1 and Ch2 - would share the same - input wire?

Or should I strip down some RCA pairs I have and make 4 input coming from the HK twisted to the RCA wires, separating the channels..

Just wanted to be sure before I go plugging things in..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I don't know anything about that head unit but if it's a high power head unit (would have ~6v on each of the speaker wires (positive and negative), black meter probe on the case of the head unit), connecting the negatives together would likely cause the internal amp to fail. I'd suggest that you use a line output converter and use the RCA inputs.

Before installing the amp, I'd suggest that you power it up and measure the DC voltage on the speaker terminals (black probe on the amp's main ground terminal). If it's also 6v, it probably won't make any audible difference unless you're adding additional speakers (leaving the OEM speakers operating off of the head unit).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.