new head unit getting really hot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just installed a pioneer head unit in my 84 mazda, I used a wiring harness and when I turned it on it worked fine for 2 -3 minutes then I lost sound and the head unit got really hot, I unplugged the harness from the stereo and noticed the fuse on the back had blown, im not sure what the problem is, I've installed numerous car stereos with no problems.

We need more information on the head unit and the amp. Model #'s. It could be that the amp was dumping power into too low of an impeadance, working really hard, but it has protection circutry that activated the way it was supposed too. If there was a direct short, say on the speakers you would not have heard anything, and the fuse would have blown right away.

At the harness they read infinite resistance, except the rear speakers but they weren't working when I had the head unit on, so I disconnected them. (There's a factory amp for the rear speakers I didn't unhook, and was told wouldn't work with the aftermarket headunit anyway.)

I think you may have permanently damaged the head unit's internal amp. Disconnect the speakers wires for the head unit's harness from the vehicle and cut the bare wire from the speaker wires.

Install a 5 amp fuse in the head unit and apply power. Does it blow the fuse?

If not, do you read approximately 1/2 of the battery voltage on all 8 speaker wires coming from the head unit? They should all be essentially the same voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.