Punch 60X2 RT SP distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

A friend gave me his OS punch 60x2 (trans-ana design)to look at... it appears that the right channel is severely distorted.

I tested the speaker - to the RCA shield ground of both... the left hand is 1K ohms and the right (bad) side is 20K ohms... not sure if that means anything, but I've looked over both sides of the amp and there are no lifted traces and no visible signs of damage.

It powers up fine, left channel sounds o.k. but right side has huge distortion... any ideas how I can go about troubleshooting this amp?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

p.s. I've read over Dr. Zues' thread about his punch problem... this seems to be different.

Last edited:
There should be one 0.1 ohm resistor for each output transistor.

If the resistor is missing and the legs aren't still in the solder pads, it likely got hot enough to desolder itself. If that's the case, make sure that you clamp all transistors tightly to the heatsink before applying power (after replacing the resistor).

Thanks Perry. I just got the resistor today, and sure enough it works perfectly with it installed... was really strange... almost like the resistor was never there... I guess it could have heated up and fell out many years ago. :confused: Works great now!!!

On to the next project...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.