Diy car amp??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Don't know if this is the correct place to post this thread. I want to build a car power amp to use with my head unit. Don't need any filters in it. Just need 4 channel, clean 100watts amp with remote turn on by the head unit. Sound quality is the highest priority, thats why i'm resorting to building an amp myself. I'm not an expert but can just build amps if given the circuit. I ask another friend of mine for advices as he's more well versed. Please let me know if you have any nice circuits. Thanks.:)

There are all sorts of published audio amplifier designs. Some with excellent specifications and would be good DIY project's. I have a couple of books by Douglas Self that have some really great projects in them.

That said, the power supply for a automotive amplifier is going to be the trickier part to get right. There are not anywhere near as many switch mode power supply designs out in the public domain, but there is one design that is linked in the thread stickied in the top of this section, and IIRC there is one on one of Perry Babin's web pages. There is also a design at Elliott Sound Products website, with a lot of clearly written material on how to design your transformer.

I think I saw this same post by you over on diyMA and they shot you down. Don't let them discourage you. If I had the time, I would definitely give it a shot-- I still may when I catch up with every other project that I am involved in.

Good Luck,
Jason

May not be exactly what you want but there is a dedicated car power amp (discrete not IC) in one of the old Audio Amateur compendiums. Built for car 12 volt power etc. The book is called "Audio Amateur Power Amplifier Projects", Although a 1996 production you'll find it still for sale on the audioXpress web site in their shopping, section. Go "shopping, books, general audio, design/circuits...' I think! From memory it is a two part article with MOSFET output stage.........

Cheers, Jonathan

Last edited:
Hello Veedub85,
* I mounted an amp with TDA7294 chip. I used a switching power supply with 33v-0-33v, the sound was incredible. Although some disagree, but I used tantalum capacitors at the input, it was just amazing. Build other side mosfet amplifiers with output, but the TDAs were much better. I'm not crazy, believe me, the TDA work wonderfully well with switching power supplies ...

I have used LM3886 ICs as drivers to push a pair of outputs before, and it worked quite well, simple design, and able to achieve over 100w+ depending on your outputs.

I am curious if there are such nice IC amps TDA7294,LM3886 then why all these car audio manufacturers got with FET's and all the complexity?

100Watts for a car is a too much when you have efficient drivers. Perhaps you could use a T-amp for it?
Sure 4x100W @ 4 Ohm TK2050 Class-D Audio Amplifier Board
TA2020 gives only 10watts, you cant bridge them but i hear that you can multi amp them. Connect more than 1 TA2020 in parallel
TK2050 seems really nice, 60watts 4 ohm .005% thd. i see that the dayton dta100a uses this but dont know why they say dont use less than 6ohm

Many prefer TDA7294 sound over LM3886, may be because it has a FET output stage.
If they all used Chip amps and IC application circuits, they won't need their designers LOL.

Now for the serious part, the discrete parts give a designer, the flexibility to make the amp behave as they desire, and is not the case with Chipamps. And also u cannot have all the more power u want using chipamps. Amps reaching KW output r also used in cars.

Gajanan Phadte

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.