Rockford T20001bd R465

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive got this amp on the bench trying to fix it up. Customer said it makes a burning smell. Sure enough, R465 burned up to the point where it measured ~180k. I'm not precisly sure what this resistor's value should be, but it looks like a 0.1 ohm like most Rockford amps use.

Location of this resistor is directly between two large caps just behind the spearker terminals.

Also, would there be anything other than the resistor itself which would have caused it's failure?

IMAG0141.jpg

I put a new 10 ohm resistor into R465. After about 2 minutes of idling while powered on, the new resistor gets raging hot. There is 0vDC across this resistor, and also 0vDC referencing amp's ground on both sides of this resistor. There is however AC voltage referencing amp ground, which starts at 0.1vAC and rises to ~2.6vAC after about 20 seconds of the amp being powered on, and 6.6vAC across this resistor.

Last edited:
Speaker output has +-5vAC on them. I think you are right because if I twist and tug on the inducer the output clears up; so I need to find the short.

Edit: nope its something else and not the inductor. When I activate SW101 - the Phase 0/180 switch - the new 10Ohm resistor almost instantly started to smoke. That switch is activating something in the pre-amp section. Could it be a failed opAmp?

Last edited:
Im now troubleshooting this amp with R465 removed as having it installed is hazardous to my health.

Could you email me the schematic to supertegrs@yahoo.com if you have a moment? OpAmps U106 and U107 have adverse reaction on the output pins to gain adjustment in the form of DC voltage drom from ~0.2vDC at minimum gain to ~-0.4vDC at maximum gain. This is referencing amp RCA shields.

With an input source and no load, if I turn both the gain and the crossover controls up about 1/4 way the amp pops into protection mode.

This amp appears to only produce possitive rail voltage. Where is the best secondary center tap for measuring the opAmps? Ive been using RCA shields or amp general ground.

Its been a few days since I last worked on this amp, and tonight I believe I figured out that the gain control may be shorted internally across two two of the pins.

EDIT: Nevermind. I pulled the gain pot and its fine. Theres a trace underneith tying two pins together.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.