JL 500/1 Amplifier whine(not alternator whine)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright, so I just picked up a used JL 500/1 supposedly in working condition, but never verified it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
So I pull out my working alpine amp, and put in the JL, hook it up and the power light illuminates like it is supposed to. However, after it has power for a few seconds there is a high pitched whine coming from the amp itself, and it has no output to the sub. The whine is still there with the RCA's unplugged, and if I unplug/plug the RCA's in, the sub makes a thud. I have the amp set to the 'baseline' settings JL suggests.

This is in a dodge ram with a stock head unit.

I don't know a whole lot about car audio, pretty much just the basics of how things are supposed to be hooked up and work. So I don't really know what to try to fix this or did I get screwed and this amp is just toast? I tried a different ground, same thing. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

-Aaron

Did you try grounding the brown wire?

If that doesn't allow the amp to produce audio, unplug the RCAs from the amp and measure the DC voltage on the input RCA shields on the amp and on the RCA cables that were plugged into the amp. Place the black meter probe on the amplifier's ground terminal. Place the red meter probe on the point where you need to measure the voltage.

I wouldn't expect to see any DC on the RCA jacks connected to the head unit, especially if the brown wire is properly grounded.

The input circuits for various amps differ. What works for one amp won't necessarily work for all amps.

I won't tell you to buy a new converter but this one isn't working like I'd expect from other converters.

I don't know if the whine is significant. Some amps are noisy without there being a fault with the amp. The fact that you had 40v on each of the speaker terminals tends to indicate that the amp's power supply is in good working order. The fact that it thumped when you connected the RCAs tends to indicate that the preamp section is passing signal.

What are the 'baseline' settings you referred to?

Well the amp definitely works. Just went out there with my iPod and some RCA->headphone jack cable and plugged it direct to the amp and it works! So it is most definitely something with the converter/RCAs. I'll go get a new converter tomorrow or fiddle with this one and see where that gets me. Thanks so much for all the help Perry Babin!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.