Hifonics Triton 8" square full range? Any info? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2011, 04:33 AM   #1
18Hurts is offline 18Hurts  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hifonics Triton 8" square full range? Any info?

Just noted that there is an 8 ohm full range from Hifonics that they rate for 98.5 dB at one watt.

Granted, not too wild about Hifonics (the old stuff was great though) The 8 inch square speaker seems a bit odd but the power handling, phase plug and sensitivity rating was good bait!

As usual, no real information about the Triton square 8--no T/S parameters, no frequency response charts etc. If it could hold 80 Hz to 8 KHz plus or minus 3 dB and could handle a real 100 watts RMS (rated for 200 watts) then things get interesting.

It was released about 4 months ago but I'm having problems finding specs besides the scant numbers Hifonics puts out.

Any ideas if they sound decent or where to find the actual specs? Thank you!
Old 19th February 2011, 06:54 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Pictures? Links?

dave
Old 19th February 2011, 10:06 AM   #3
ZippyTs is offline ZippyTs  United States
diyAudio Member

Here you go
Old 21st February 2011, 10:46 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It might be a very good driver. But...

The efficiency is suspect, and the square shape would not likely be as stiff or as well controlled as an oval or circle. Being a car driver one immediately suspects that the shape may have as much to stand out in the crowd of other peakcocks as performance.

What kind of price? And where are the useful technical specifications?

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:14 AM   #5
18Hurts is offline 18Hurts  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm with you Dave

The square fad tends to turn me off--make it worse at a higher price idea. Maybe those square things are aimed at people that are afraid or unable to cut circles?

Usually, if the speaker is decent--it has all the specs with it. Figured somebody on the boards might of bought one and actually tested the thing. I guess not--why they didn't make the much more common 6.5" size is beyond me. As you say, the look makes it stand out of the crowd.

Now to crank up the boom box that runs on six C alkalines and puts out 800 watts! (PMPO) The unknown Hifonics costs about the same as the well known Eminence Beta12LTA--that would seem the best bet.
Old 27th September 2011, 05:06 AM   #6
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

Just stumbled upon these. Thought I'd bump the thread, just incase anyone happened to come across any useful information since February. Doubtful though.
Old 24th May 2012, 10:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Me too any update?

Figures hifonics did this. They kind of began the mega power amps with their 1800 watt colossus amp back in the early 90's.
Yamaha YST-MS201 computer speaker amp, JVC 3" fullrange drivers in open baffles, CSS 10" sub in 19l sealed enclosure, bluetooth dongle for wireless audio from android phone headphone out for hirez FLAC playback.

Hide this!Advertise here!