losing bass - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2011, 05:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default losing bass

Hey guys. I'm somewhat of a newbie compare to most of you on here and I can't figure out whats causing my car audio system to lose bass. I have an alpine cda-117 hu hooked up to an 1000.1bd Rockford Fosgate amp and 2 12" Elemental design dv.2 subs. Every once and awhile I lose bass from my subs never completely you can always here a little thump but its almost always at least a little less than normal. It does it a lot on the highway I have little bass and sometimes when I hit bumps it fixes. I thought maybe a loose connection somewhere but what would cause it to lose bass somewhat but never totally? I used a volt meter and when its not working properly its like 12v and when it works right its over 14v. I don't really understand what that means. Could someone help me with this please it gets quite annoying hearing bass going in and out over and over again ?
Old 14th February 2011, 06:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

When you measure the voltage is the car running? Is the music turned up loud? The loose connection idea is likely, and that could be a loose connection in the amp itself. Are you running just two subs? or is there more to the system than that?
Old 14th February 2011, 06:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

One RCA signal line may have a loose connection. Losing half of the signal could cause the symptoms you described.
Old 14th February 2011, 07:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yea the car is running and the music is almost full blast. I only have the 2 subs hooked to the amp. I hope its not a loose connection in the amp cause I have no idea how to fix that.
Old 14th February 2011, 07:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
One RCA signal line may have a loose connection. Losing half of the signal could cause the symptoms you described.
I thought possibly the rcas too. I will have to check and make sure those are fine from end to end. If so I'll replace it too and see if that fixes it. Thanks.
Old 14th February 2011, 07:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Unplug one of the RCA plugs from the RCA jacks on the amp to see if it's the same as when you lose output.
Old 14th February 2011, 07:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

thats easy enough I will try that and see.
Old 14th February 2011, 08:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I tried the unplugging each rca and it hardly made any diffrence at all plugged or unplugged. It sounded still pretty much normal. Its hard to fix when it working fine now but it happens almost all the time and it dosent have to be loud to do it either. I drove home this morning on the highway and the bass kept going less are more over and over the whole way.
Old 14th February 2011, 08:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

It could be a bad connection on a woofer (wiring between amp and woofer) or a failing lead-in wire on one of the woofers.
Old 15th February 2011, 04:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

ok thanks I'll have to open up the box and take a look at it when I get a chance its a freaking blizzard over here right now lol

Hide this!Advertise here!