Eclipse ZA1200 dead, help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey fellas got a Eclipse ZA1200 mono car amp that has failed on a friend of mine. I Opened it up and there is no sign of any burning or blown parts. Looks clean like new. Hooked it up to some power and this is what happens....

If i hit it with 12v it immediately engages the protection and draws no current.
If i ease up the voltage from say 5v and up it draws current but once i get to 12 volts it shuts off. At about 8v its drawing .5a.
Another thing there is a ticking sound coming from the pcb. I cant figure out what making the noise.

Any ideas? thanks

yes there is some dc on the output. with 6v-10v depending on source. here are some pics but like i said there is nothing visible.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
DSC03718.jpg

yes i measured the dc off the speaker terminals. No Load. With a load each terminal measures +/-200mv to ground. With out a load, amp draws .5a from my bench supply at 9vdc. With a load it draws 200ma and the ticking goes away. If that makes any sense.

if you look at image 3 i circled two diodes just before the output that were hot to touch. the other two diodes on the (-) output were not hot. idk hopefully someone has had similar experience that can point me in the right direction. thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.