What features would you like in a head unit that doesn't exist yet? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2011, 05:40 PM   #1
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What features would you like in a head unit that doesn't exist yet?

I'm curious what features you guys would like to see in a head unit that doesn't exist yet.

Personally I would like to see a head unit that can read text messages to you and let you use speech to text to write a reply.
Old 9th February 2011, 05:44 PM   #2
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

my request is very simple -

a nice volume knob!
Old 9th February 2011, 05:55 PM   #3
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd like more control over EQ, Crossover and Outputs Routing functions in the DSP. Something like "miniDSP" in a head unit.

Some Kenwood units allow you to do parametric EQ and crossovers on the preamp outputs. Why not to the amps?
Old 9th February 2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Dr Zeus is offline Dr Zeus  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd like a head unit which uses a capacitive discharge touch screen; much like an iPhone, iPad, or Droid. The resistive touch screens seem such old school.

Matter fact, might as well up the screen resolution and make it with Google's Android OS and wifi capable.
Old 9th February 2011, 07:34 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

direct digital input from iPod / iPhone, decent DAC , and voice activation
Old 9th February 2011, 07:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

A lifetime service warranty agreement all inclusive with no deductible... Guaranteed for life no matter what. Something like the Japanese have on all of their gear sold in Japan. The Japanese don't have a word for warranty so they imply none, if you bought it, it's supposed to work without question...What a novel idea, no wonder they love selling to other countries.

Or just include QUALITY of engineering, parts and construction and design to a level of at least 5 years service without failure, so folks could at least say they got a fair deal....
The more gizmo's and widgets you add the more there is to break, and fail due to poor construction, design, assembly, etc...and what about those cheap flex circuit ribbon cables on retractable screens ? quality electronics uses double flex ribbons < like my Motorola cell phone does >. I haven't seen any of that in a Head unit ever...go figure.

I have a close friend that banks between 60 and 100K a month repairing head units, and people think cars are unreliable, just wait till they lose half a dashboard and all the AC/heater controls due to a busted 39 cent plastic gear in their 6 disk in-dash changer..whew !! and then there's the $350.00 repair bill for that 39 cent gear..WOO-HOO!!! what a money maker....Amplifier repair was never like this....The latter problem was so bad that one manufacturer now drop ships complete replacements in overnight with core exchange so your car can still function even though your CD changer unit failed..LOL LOL LOL.. It's still $350.00 though..

So I say QUALITY should be the next best greatest thing included in Auto head units, as it been missing for so long no one noticed it wasn't there......
Old 9th February 2011, 08:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
direct digital input from iPod / iPhone, decent DAC , and voice activation
Alpine and I think Pioneer already have iPod digital direct via USB.

Several OEM head units have voice activation; and I'm pretty sure text messaging as well (BMW?). I'm a bit doubtful if such features will come easily to aftermarket head units due to R&D costs, but we can hope.

I agree with the VOLUME KNOB comment. And let me press it for power on/off (and de facto mute), don't make me hold some other tiny button!

THREE-line big display of artist, song name, album name, and hopefully album art.

And TIME ALIGNMENT!!!! For crying out loud, this is the 21st Century already, we're not even solving this most basic problem that afflicts every car?
Old 10th February 2011, 12:13 AM   #8
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
Alpine and I think Pioneer already have iPod digital direct via USB.

Several OEM head units have voice activation; and I'm pretty sure text messaging as well (BMW?). I'm a bit doubtful if such features will come easily to aftermarket head units due to R&D costs, but we can hope.

I agree with the VOLUME KNOB comment. And let me press it for power on/off (and de facto mute), don't make me hold some other tiny button!

THREE-line big display of artist, song name, album name, and hopefully album art.

And TIME ALIGNMENT!!!! For crying out loud, this is the 21st Century already, we're not even solving this most basic problem that afflicts every car?

Sony has digital through USB, good volume knobs, multi-line displays, mute buttons, flexible crossovers, 7 band eq and time alignment starting at $120. Add full graphics, the ability to put your iPhone/iPod directly in the head unit and blue tooth and you are still only at about $240

Guys I want to know about things you want to see that don't exist, what do you think the head units of 2020 will be able to do?
Old 10th February 2011, 01:49 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I would like to see a built in Wifi hotspot, and possibly a 31-band eq??? Better yet, to be able to download apps to the stereo just like you can on a Iphone, etc. And maybe a heads up display, so you don't have to take your eye off the road?

Last edited by warpedhifi; 10th February 2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10th February 2011, 01:57 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I would like to see the car computer merge with the HU so the entire car could be digitized, and anything we want would just be a download away. GPS, road assistance, W.W.W. EQ's, Time Alignment, etc..you name its all available as soon as these two devices merge completely.
Shame is though it will most likely require complete vehicle interface also to gain most of its unlimited possibilities...Just thinking out loud here folks, just thinking out loud...

Hide this!Advertise here!