make a kac-9102d 1 ohm stable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone I recently purchased what I thought would be a non functioning kac-9152d off of ebay but instead I received a kac-9102d. I tried to contact seller but no response... so after reviewing the schematic and a small amount of troubleshooting I got the amp functional again(open R58 in -15avr circuit). I did notice that it seems there are only minor differences with the 9152d and the 9102d. The main difference I see to make the 9152d 1 ohm stable is the slightly more beefy power supply section...namely the addition of two 2sk3662's in positions q15 and q17 i believe this could possibly what I need to make the amp more desirable. If anyone has a moment I would truly appreciate your input. I am not concerned about the remote bass control as I feel it is unnecessary for my needs.

If this is a feasible endeavor what should I use in place of the 2sk3662's as I cannot find any supplier with a reasonable price..i.e. $10 ea. from parts store.

Here is a link to schematic for any interested.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/36234/Kenwood_Kenwood KAC-8102D,8152D,9102D,9152D.html

Thanks to all who reply and I appreciate your time and consideration.

-David-

Last edited:
Certainly from the parts cross ref chart it would appear that those extra mosfets are the only change between the two amps. While part numbers are the same, I would keep an eye on the temp of the transformer in case the winding thickness was any different. Shouldn't be, but worth a look.

If fact the whole thing would be worth testing at 1ohm on the bench before any install that consumed considerable time. Just be aware that if testing with a continuous sinewave that it is a very hard thermal test on an amp/power supply. Often it doesn't take too long for overheat protection to cut in. A good lazer temp instrument can be great here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.