6x9 Speaker Boxes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: porting?

MearCat said:
Planet10 - You mentioned that to lower the Q response you can drill a series of holes in the box, but I didn't understand how many holes (what is a "area of a third of the Sd of a speaker"??) you should drill and cover/dampen to test the speaker response.

Sd is the piston area of the driver you are using. A 3rd is a ballpark number from my experience. Aperiodic enclosures are still very much a cut & try experience. After the port-lets are made, you then want to damp them by covering them with some resistance, i find compressed fiberglass works well. Sometimes the resistance of the small holes by themselves is enuff -- you have to play.

I just came up from a bit of a listen to some Ampex 517 cabinets that i loaded some accordian surround whizzer cone 6x9s (from out of a Dodge) into (the original drivers were dead). There is something about a FR oval that is really sweet...

dave

He he he, posting here while doing my research about this topic, I know its old, but interesting.

Whats interesting about 6x9 drivers, specially why not! for making dedicated enclosure boxes (sealed or ported), is that in one driver you can get a nice full sound range, because they usually are loaded with one or more mid and very high drivers in their center, so with one unit and a enclosure box you can have nice, discrete but decent sound even for domestic use. A friend made an enclosure box for his house, and put 2 6x9's, they sound was pretty god, even better than sound coming from dedicated home audio "sony, philips, panasonic, sharp, etc..", so i don't understand how some people recommend throwing away those speakers because they only are suitable for car trunks... come on, 6x9 drivers don't work different from any other speaker, they work on the same fundamental and operative principle "a coil, a magnet, a cone, etc.. nothing weird there". So I think that 6x9's are ok under certain requirements (not for spl competition of course or extreme bass performance).

What i liked of deciding on a 6x9 for discrete home system, besides de full range I mentioned before, is that they are low in hz (I have seen some from 45hz), so a nice bass will be present on your system as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.