JBL 'Crown' A6000GTi - Thats a HUGE b*

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My goodness! You absolutely had to see to believe this monstrosity. I saw and touched this thing in person at a local 12v amp repair shop here in Atlanta.

IMG_20110113_181246.jpg

Yes thats a measley dollar bill sitting on top of it. The value of this amp is anywhere from $1000 to $4000. Its about 2 x 3 feet x 6 inches in absolute girth and takes two people to lift.

its supposedly 'rated' to 6000 x 1, but the repair guy said it is likely closer to about 15,000w. The transformer is the size of a small pizza, and there were so many transistors inside that I lost count after about 75.

Unfortunately I wasnt able to grab this sucker; its brain guts and protection circuit needed repair. and the repair guy was still having "at it". I'll probably try and get it next time as he felt like not wanting to spend his days figuring it out. Bummer!

Happy drooling!

Last edited:
Evening Dr. Zeus, looks like you found your Jiggawatts amp :)

I actually know someone that won one of these as a door price at a gear show some years back when they were new on the seen. He sold as I recall:D
I would have hung it on a wall somewhere myself. Somethings just are either too big or too once in a lifetime to actually put into use. For me this one of those things.
It would make a nice hanging ornament in a amp repair shop. maybe with a sign hanging over it saying something like "and your worried about your repair bill"...lol lol lol...:D

not to mention the amount of CURRENT this bad Mofo needs to run! call it the alternator killer! this thing can suck down a battery like sucking the juice out of a grape! that alternator will overheat in a matter of minutes trying to keep up! you would have to have multiple batteries and a dedicated charging system just to run this dang thing!

cool amp, but am not sure about 15k, but it sure does look massive

This amp has a 600A slow-blow fuse, making it possible to hit probably 1000A for a bit of an instant. At that level your looking at ~14000w. Looking at the amp's ratings makes you just wonder...

6000w RMS at 4 ohms
6000w RMS at 2 ohms
6000w RMS at 1 ohm

Its 'rated' not to double when the load is halved I dont see why it would be stuck at 6000w every time. I forget what kind of monster cable was required to wire this beast up.

Surely this amp was never designed to be in a car. You'd need a string of deep-cycle 12v batteries to keep it pressing out the wattage.

What do the ~7-10k Cactus amps have on this?

If the amp is designed to produce 6kw into any load, it's entirely possible to make it do just that. Look at the JL slash series amps. They do the same power throughout their entire range of acceptable speaker loads.

I could be wrong but I believe they were mainly designed for competition systems. There's a photo on the net somewhere that has what appears to be at least 8 of them installed.

This amp has a 600A slow-blow fuse, making it possible to hit probably 1000A for a bit of an instant. At that level your looking at ~14000w. Looking at the amp's ratings makes you just wonder...

6000w RMS at 4 ohms
6000w RMS at 2 ohms
6000w RMS at 1 ohm

Its 'rated' not to double when the load is halved I dont see why it would be stuck at 6000w every time. I forget what kind of monster cable was required to wire this beast up.

Surely this amp was never designed to be in a car. You'd need a string of deep-cycle 12v batteries to keep it pressing out the wattage.

What do the ~7-10k Cactus amps have on this?
as far as I know, this amp as some other JBL (crown) can be high voltage or high current, that is why it is rated at 6k from 4 to 1R loads... since it is rated 6k at 4R, it has to have very high voltage, that would in 1R sag a lot, but still make HUGE amount of power, but components inside are not raded for such power (current in that 1r load)

and yes it was designs for car and only car, just big on power... but uses same tech as do their PA amps, mains powered.

There are a lot of high and even alot higher power amps out there, but none of them are as good for 4R as are for 1R loads, most have "0.5" of the power, if load is 2x higher

pictures
http://ampguts.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3601&nojs=1

this amp is good, coz even with impedance raise in box, you can still deliver a lot of clean power

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.