15v phantom power & undo channel inversion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2011, 03:19 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 15v phantom power & undo channel inversion

I've been having a mad scientist idea that I wanted to try, and I really want to try it even more after eating lunch with a friend last week.

How hard would it be to create a circuit that provides phantom power and reverse the channel inversion used to bridge old school Orion amplifiers through the DIN plug?

I ask because I have one of these negative feedback controllers:
Click the image to open in full size.

And I've been wondering if I could adapt it to work with something other than the Orion 280GX that it was designed for.

Also, I believe this is the wiring spec for the MIDI/DIN plug:

For some reason, I am thinking that 15v phantom power will be easier to achieve than reversing the channel inversion. I'm handy with a soldering iron, but circuit design is something I lack.
Old 13th January 2011, 11:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Unless this circuit modifies/distorts the signal, it's not likely to make a difference. All it can do is compensate for the effect that the speaker wire has on the signal. Unless you're using very small wire or have to run it a very long distance, this isn't likely to be beneficial.
Old 24th March 2011, 05:57 PM   #3
troystg is online now troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

That "circuit" is an electronic suspension system.. ie a servo. It contain an xo, bridging circuit, comparator circuit, loudspeaker modeling unit and signal modification circuit.

The bridge circuit in the negative feedback unit (NFU) can be defeated for an amp that has a built in bridging switch. The "issue" is to make a stand alone phantom power supply to provide > +/- 12 VDC to the NFU. As you can see in your picture that voltage is regulated down to +/- 8 VDC.

Hide this!Advertise here!