Memphis 16-ST1500D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
THis is the 3rd Memphis amp I've repaired in the past ~3 hours. This one is the biggest, Class-D most likely. The smaller ones needed some gain/switch cleaning, but this one seems to be OK in that area. The three were brought to me for repair and were likely installed all together.

This amp powers and plays fairly well, but it's output is just slightly dirty. This is what shows up on the scope at idle with no input source or load.

Is this normal for this amp? If so then this amp likely has no problems and was just brought in with the other two because they needed repair. The other two are ST1000D and ST2004. I'm gonna check the ST1000D for the same thing as this amp in a moment.

.5v/Div @ 50uS
IMG_20110112_010749.jpg

IMG_20110112_010803.jpg

Class D amps pass a fair bit of residual from the carrier. It's all well above audibility so it's not generally a problem. When you connect a speaker load to it, the level of this 'noise' generally drops.

The bottom one is a bit different. It appears to have a lower frequency (~22k if your scope is in calibration) mixed with the noise. It's likely inaudible but unexpected.

For most class D amps, I set the scope to 10v/div and 2mS. If the amp produce clean audio and the trace is relatively thin, it's OK.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.