Does anyone enjoy repairing mesha boards?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I really hate them but I like the amps. Just a big pain once you have to put the transistors back in the circuit. The mesha thing is just pain when you need to remove the defective transistors because I got go run and a get a butane torch..... I just rather not deal with these Rockford amps. Do you repair guys like fixing these amps? I like the 1997 (.2) series with the clamp bar. And what's the deal with the mesha thing? Why did Rockford use this pain in the @$$ method?? Haha

Automated Manufacturing Processes.....:)
This is just big scale SMD component mounting, and they use large reflow ovens to make then by the 1000's on a assembly line. Why do you think they all look alike ? they reflow the solder on them in ovens like they do Motherboards and just about every other type of high speed assembly line built electronics you see nowadays. it's actually state of the art assembly method. lol lol You really don't think they got Elves hand soldering those things together now do you ??? lol lol lol

And when they need to repair a amp they just replace the entire panel with a new one that was stored as a spare part.
Removing power devices from a panel is too time consuming in most cases at their level so they just sell and or replace entire panel strips. At least they use to sell them as i recall, it's been a while for me to buy any as I got good with a reflow station and a heavy duty soldering iron. Simply cut leads and then heat and flick the defective devices off into the Hazardous waste trash can.
Use very light flux agent and special low temp solder strips under the new devices. low temp solder flows at much lower temps then regular solder, and the solder is nothing more then a bonding agent that assures good temperature transfer to the panel.
Works every time for me.........;)

PS all the other methods you see posted here work also, even the one I heard of in Canada where they use a 150+ watt soldering iron mounted in drill press to do their mounting with. I use a temp controlled hot air reflow tool rather then a gas torch. Either or works just fine once you got the timing and heating variables down with experience....

You can always contact RF through one of their dealers and have them sell you replacement panels as complete one piece assemblies. Just clip off the old panel, Clean all the through holes and then mount and solder the new panel in place VIOLA !!! good as new albeit a bit pricey on parts cost.....;)

After you do a few of them, they're not difficult. They're a bit more time consuming but as long as you take that into account when you quote the repair, it's not a problem. As long as you're getting paid for your time, what does it matter what you're doing? Well, that's how I see it anyway. If you're not getting paid, you need to enjoy the work or avoid the amps that use them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.