Earthquake 1000bx excessive current while playing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The amp draws excessive current when playing. At idle, only draws 1 amp. But when just one channel plays (left or right) it draws 4 amps just to make 1 watt. All the outputs test good, I know one channel is because I replaced all the outputs. Also replaced all the PS FETS with IRFZ44 and 125 ohm gate resistor.

Any ideas?

TIA!
Tristan

Starting at 13.8V and descreasing, the current goes up from 1.3A to 1.6A until 11V then the current continues to go down fairly rapidly.

I dunno about the PS. I thought it was a variac type. It's a Brodhead Garrett. But I've never opened it so I dunno. Seems to get dragged down fairly easily. It'll pump out about 9 amps at ~13.6 knob turned to full power. Unloaded it will do 25V. I only use it during repairs, not during completion testing as it's the only adjustable one I have.

Here is a shot. Not exactly perfect.

Attachments

• EQ-1000BX.JPG
    EQ-1000BX.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 80
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.