planet audio bb2400.1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
first off does anybody know if IRFP264N is the original output FET part # for these amps? a friend bought it a while back refurbished, and from day 1 it got very hot just from being turned on. with no load and no input just the power wires it was getting hot. it played audio but would be extremely hot and would periodically go into protection. eventaully it burned out, i opened it and ALL FETs appear to be shorted. i need to buy parts and i have found IRFP264 but not the n's for a reasonable price.
i was just wondering if it would make a difference between the 2 parts?
if the IRFP264n's are not the right part in the first place i don't want to chase down problems because of wrong parts.

for the drivers in the output these 2SC4793 & 2SA1837 were used, if they are the original part #'s i don't know. i havn't removed the driver board and checked them yet but i did already order some identical replacements. but before i started i was just wandering if these were the original part #'s or not? i'm just skeptical because the amp was purchased from ebay as refurbished and from day 1 it got very hot just at idle (not even any speakers connected). i'v had stuff like that happen when i've chosen unsuitable x-ref parts in the past.

Attachments

• 040811184737.jpg
    040811184737.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 300
i got the power supply up and it was pulling excessive current so i pulled the driver board for the outputs and the current draw was still there. i have all the outputs out (they're bad) and checked between all their pads for shorts and it all looks okay. so i then pulled the power supply rectifiers and now the power supply appears to be operating properly, so i checked all the rectifiers (8) and they seem to check out okay. just wandering what else i should check? i suspect the problem is in the output section but i'm no pro.haha

The excessive current draw continued, no matter how you twisted the inductor. Is that correct?

If so, I'd suggest pulling the inductor to see if the amp continues to draw excessive current. If the excessive current draw is eliminated, connect a jumper between the pads for the windings of the same color. That will reconnect the circuit without the inductor. If there is no excessive current draw, it's likely shorted windings on the inductor or the inductor was shorting to the board.

i haven't tried it at full power yet so i don't know how much current it actually wants to pull. i have a 4 ohm current limiting resister in series with the power wire so it is only pulling about 2-4 amps. when i try to power it up the power supply transformers are very noisy(like in my fosgate t40001bd) and the power light wont come on, but when the rectifiers or inductor was out the power light would come on and it was pulling almost no current. maybe i just need to give it full power but i'm just worried about blowing my new power supply fets if something is wrong.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.