Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2010, 12:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Crazy audiomobile amp rack

Came across some very old school. I think this predates my 151.
Two SA1000RS, a 400, one active crossover, not pictured is a SP300 3 band eq, and another knob for something else
Click the image to open in full size.
Don't know much about it, right now I have audio out of one of the channels on the 400, but nothing else. Pretty cool the eq has a power supply for the crossover, and the rack is really cool. I am wondering if there is a way I can get RCA input to each amp to test them without the eq and crossover. Not a lot of info out there on these, only in the old school thread, and all everyone said is they are amazing. What am I dealing with? I am guessing two 100w two channels and one 40 watt two channel.
Old 4th December 2010, 01:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Did some playing around, found out the separate knob is a fader, and that i have three out of six channels working. Pulling everything apart and contact cleaning it, hopefully I can at least get two of the amps completely working. The "400" is a sa452.
Old 4th December 2010, 01:25 AM   #3
ween is offline ween  United States
diyAudio Member

hi,
some old school goodness circa early 80's
you'd need to get a six pin din connector to convert to RCA's, the inputs on all of the amplifiers are of the balanced type. i have a SA400 myself, along with documentation for most of the Audiomobile pieces. the SA400 is 40w chnl @ 2 ohms, 20w @ 4 ohms. no power supply (switching that is) but it does have independent fuses for each channel...check that for your only one channel issue. have the info at work, i can scan and email if you'd like.
mark
Old 4th December 2010, 02:26 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ween View Post
hi,
some old school goodness circa early 80's
you'd need to get a six pin din connector to convert to RCA's, the inputs on all of the amplifiers are of the balanced type. i have a SA400 myself, along with documentation for most of the Audiomobile pieces. the SA400 is 40w chnl @ 2 ohms, 20w @ 4 ohms. no power supply (switching that is) but it does have independent fuses for each channel...check that for your only one channel issue. have the info at work, i can scan and email if you'd like.
mark
Sweet. It is the SA452 that is running sigular right now. The 1000 that is bad was on bass to some free air alpine tens, and the surround on those was shot, so I fear the woofers may have taken out the amp with 'em. For now, it will probably be a setup for my garage, as I don't have a car that needs something like this. (Though the wife's baby, a 74 corolla would be exceedingly awesome with this and the alpine tape deck I also procured.)

Now to hunt down those cables.
Old 4th December 2010, 05:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Any better place for the cables than ebay? I am not sure if I will need them, it seems like I can coax life back into the eq and crossover/fader.
Old 4th December 2010, 06:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Post a pic of the cable / connector you are looking for.
Old 4th December 2010, 11:21 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

if you're good with soldering, a spare set of RCA's and a better electronics store for the DIN connector then you'd be set. does it look something like 164-6060? http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/044509.pdf
Old 4th December 2010, 09:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Pulled the SA450 open, found two components, one labeled F1, and one F2. One is a fuse, but one looks like a green bodied resistor. The fuse checks out, the green deal reads open one way, and some odd megohms the other. I didn't remove it to meter it. Since they are both in a socket, can I switch 'em, and see if the the other channel works?
Old 4th December 2010, 10:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

they're both fuses..pico fuses. the labeling on the green one is to determine it's value, ala a resistor, whereas the other has a number written on it.
Old 5th December 2010, 12:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Switched the fuses, bad channel is now playing. Also on the bad SA1000 one bad fuse, same size, so that is nice. Both channels didn't work on this one, so it may not fix it, but it worth a try.

Hide this!Advertise here!