JL Audio 1000/1 Amplifier Low-Pass Filter Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The mode/slope switch no longer works in the 12-dB or 24-dB position. In those positions there is no output from the amp. However, when I change the switch position to "off" there is output from the amp. What could be the cause of this? A sticky switch maybe?

I am the original owner. I have had the amplifier in storage for quite some time, and all was well when I had it installed before.

Pull the bottom cover. You'll see that there are several connectors between the main and preamp board. Pull the preamp board up VERY slightly and push it back down. Only pull it up about 1/16". Do this a couple of times for each connector. Does the amp work properly now?

If not, you'll have to check a few other things. Do you have a scope?

Update

Thanks for your response, Perry. After posting the above, I went outside and used a can of air and blew air thru a nozzle thru several of the switch positions. Tried the system sometime afterwards and it worked up to last night.

Tried again this morning and the original problem manifested itself. I just came from playing with the switch in several of its positions, off, 12-dB and 24-dB. It worked, then tried several positions again and it stopped working again. Again played with the switch positions several times again and got it to work again. Just came inside to give you a progress report. Amplifier still works in the crossover off position.

In response to your question above yes, I do have an oscilloscope.

Sometimes, the connectors between the boards get slightly oxidized and moving them as I suggested cleans the contacts.

I understand. I am not sure whether I performed the procedure correctly as the very long pre amp board is within a groove on either side of the amplifier and there are two allen screw hold-down screws on the left and right of the preamp board, so I am not sure whether I was able to move the board sufficiently enough to make and break the connector contacts, as the board is held in its place very solidly. (no play in it).

Attachments

• JL Audio amplifier with bottom cover removed.jpg
    JL Audio amplifier with bottom cover removed.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 179
jl audio 1000/1 amp problem

I am having the same amp problem as I read in the post seen here. The filter works in the off position, but when turned to 12 or 24, does not work. Is this something I can fix or do I need to send amp off for repair? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Roy.

jl audio 1000/1 amp problem

I am having the same amp problem as I read in the post seen here. The filter works in the off position, but when turned to 12 or 24, does not work. Is this something I can fix or do I need to send amp off for repair? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Roy.

Please don't post in a repair thread that was started by someone else unless you are trying to offer assistance to the original poster.

Click on the red triangle in the lower left corner of your post and ask a moderator to move your post (and any replies to it) to a new thread (my post should be deleted).

After it's moved, I'll try to help you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.