single-ended power supply (12V) based active crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some questions for you...

Do you have any particular op-amps in mind or are you starting completely from scratch?

Any particular configuration (i.e. 2-way, 3-way, HP, LP, BP) or do you really just need the information on power supply?

The very simplest way is to make a voltage divider from 2 equal resistors that will draw significantly more current than the rest of the circuit. Capacitively couple the signal leads on both ends.
This method certainly has its drawbacks including excessive current draw and supply rails that may not be symmetrical.
You can use another op-amp to derive symmetrical supply rails, but current availability is limited.
There are a ton of op-amps out there designed with single-supply operation in mind.

If you're looking for a complete schematic, would a single HP or LP section be sufficient to work from?

Tim

Smith, thanks for your reply.

NE5532 is what we use in this part of the world. I am looking for a decent schematic -- 2way 18 dB is fine, but I am not particular. I have no problems with power supply. My car is an old tin box than runs more out of habit than on the principles of internal combustion. I dont think I should spend time on delicate/elegant configurations for this tin-box-on-wheels.

Any schematic?

"My car is an old tin box than runs more out of habit than on the principles of internal combustion"

Thanks for the laugh.

I'll have to make this two posts, one for a voltage divider and one for a filter schematic.

First, the voltage divider is a quick and easy way to run most any op amp from +12V. A transistor turn-on section is included which may be replaced with a relay if more convenient. Or, you can delete the section and power it from an ignition source if you really want to cut corners...

MPS2222 is a fine transistor to replace ktc-1815, or any small NPN for switching should work.

Attachments

• 12vsupply.jpg
    12vsupply.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 515
Part 2...

This is a 4th order Linkwitz-Riley filter taken directly from Siegfried Linkwitz' site. It is simply two equal 2nd order Butterworth sections cascaded for a L-R response. The -3dB frequency of the two sections combined is the same as that individual sections, only the Q changes along with the slope. I like it because of the many equal component values.

If you are using the filter between a subwoofer and full range speakers, you may want to leave the last high pass section off for an asymmetrical 2nd order high pass and 4th order low pass.

To change filter frequency, just scale component values linearly or recalculate from the formula given.

Attachments

• lr4thorder.jpg
    lr4thorder.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 843
Bit of thread necromancy going on here,

But could anyone recommend an op-amp for the above 4th order LW crossover that would work off a single 12V supply without having to use the voltage divider? I am trying to build a circuit with as little current draw as possible the the divider doesn't seem to fit that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.