Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2010, 03:34 PM   #1
chipper is offline chipper  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to chipper Send a message via Yahoo to chipper
Smile Need help locating bass & treble pots for 1st gen P150

I'm trying to find some pots (bass, treble) for a old first gen Punch150 and speaker fuses the small 6 amp ones (I just wish they sold them locally). I know Perry Babin knows something that I can use to put in the place of one of the pots? Oh yeah two of the 2N6490's were shorted but the rest of the outputs survived so can I use the old left over transistors from a previous P150? I replaced all of the outputs and I got one channels worth of good output transistors. I've been trying to fix this amp for nearly a year too! So it's time to get it off the shelf now.
Old 26th November 2010, 07:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can install used outputs for testing but I'd suggest that you replace them with new ones if you plan on using the amp.

Are you going to be using the amp for bass, highs or full range?
Old 26th November 2010, 10:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
You can install used outputs for testing but I'd suggest that you replace them with new ones if you plan on using the amp.

Are you going to be using the amp for bass, highs or full range?

No I'm not going to use it for bass I got another one like this already. I'd like to use it for highs so it doesn't really matter if it plays bass or not. So I can put in resistors where the pots were right? Oh yeah that's what I wanted to know if use a used transistor in here in place of the bad one.
Old 26th November 2010, 11:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It will play normally without the bass pot. The treble pot needs to be replaced with resistors if you have no potentiometer. If you don't have to have a pot that fits perfectly, there are a lot of smaller stereo 5k pots on ebay. You'd likely have to hardwire 5 of the 6 legs (cut all but the front/center off flush) but it would work.
Old 27th November 2010, 12:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
It will play normally without the bass pot. The treble pot needs to be replaced with resistors if you have no potentiometer. If you don't have to have a pot that fits perfectly, there are a lot of smaller stereo 5k pots on ebay. You'd likely have to hardwire 5 of the 6 legs (cut all but the front/center off flush) but it would work.

I looked on ebay but they are all in china/hong kong and i really don't want to risk purchasing fake parts. Also do capacitors dry up? The filter capacitor is coming off the board and so is one of the 16v caps is coming off.
Old 27th November 2010, 12:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The capacitors will leak electrolyte and dry up. If the rubber seal has been blown out of the bottom of the cap, it's definitely defective.

I've seen some of the pots from China and Hong Kong. They're usable. They can't be fake if they're not claiming to be anything specific. A friend of mine (amp was in photos in link I posted previously) has used them without any problems.
Old 27th November 2010, 02:14 AM   #7
RiLoWa is offline RiLoWa  United States
diyAudio Member

I used these in a Punch 75 rebuild.

https://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...B182-K420K504B

https://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...B182-K220K502B

I had to "adjust" the pin spacing from the front and rear sets

Hide this!Advertise here!