Need help w/ old school HiFonics Pluto

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Soldered in the new IRFZ44's as well as the new caps. Put the PCB back into the heatsink and clamped down the FETs. Soldering in the new parts was issue free. No problems and no extra solder. Powered it up and the voltage across the power supply shows 12+ volts and after a couple seconds, drops to approx half. I tried to different power supplies and both did the same.

What direction should I go from here?

When it attempts to power up, measure the DC voltage from the emitter (leg 3) of the TIP35 (red probe) to the emitter of the TIP36 (black probe) for each channel. Does either go significantly higher than 0.005v?

Is there enamel missing from one of the wires on the transformer (where the wire goes over the top of the core)?

Visually inspecting the toroidal transformer, I see no enamel missing.

Upon powering up and measuring from leg 3 of the TIP35 with the red probe to leg 3 of the TIP36 with the black probe produced 0.000 volts after testing multiple times, and also confirming that the VOM was operating properly.

Pull the power supply transistors and post the DC voltage on all 16 pins of the TL494. Place the black meter probe on the amplifier's ground terminal. Place the red meter probe on the point where you need to measure the voltage.

IC#
Pin 1:
Pin 2:
Pin 3:
Pin 4:
Pin 5:
Pin 6:
Pin 7:
Pin 8:
Pin 9:
Pin 10:
Pin 11:
Pin 12:
Pin 13:
Pin 14:
Pin 15:
Pin 16:

Attachments

• tl494pinconfiguration01.jpg
    tl494pinconfiguration01.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 63
On the lowest scale (320ohm for the continuity test) both measured 0.3ohm. On the lowest resistance scale (3k ohms) both read 0.001ohms. I measured from both the top (from the FET #1 leg to the wire out of the resistor) and the bottom (from solder pad to solder pad) of the PCB. I also checked traces from legs 2 & 3 on the FET to the nearest component. All measured the same as above. These are also the same ohms readings, on both scales, if I touch the two probes together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.