diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Car Audio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   Custom Enclosure for 03 WRX (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/17479-custom-enclosure-03-wrx.html)

mc91183 8th July 2003 11:41 PM

Custom Enclosure for 03 WRX

I'm gonna make a fiberglass enclosure w/in the spare wheel well for my 03 WRX. Wondered if any of you guys had any tips for me, this is my first time dealing with fiberglass so anything would be appreciated. Basically, where I need the most help is ensuring I take the proper measurements so that my hours of work won't be in vain b/c of me not builidng the enclosure to proper specs. Here is what i'll be running in the trunk:

(1) 12" JL Audio W6v2 (needs 1.25 cuft)
(1) 500W amp

Any help would be appreciated!!!

mc91183 9th July 2003 09:11 PM

Enclosure

Might go w/ building the enclosure outta MDF and fiberglass the top layer to make it look nice on top. Also, instead of puttin the single JL, i'm gonna put my 2 Kenwood 12" Blue Tornadoes (don't know model name) in.

asauer 19th July 2003 04:03 AM

If this is your first project, I advise you to go to www.termpro.com and become a member. Then, do some searches on fiberglass resin and how to use it, clean up, etc etc. It helped me ALOT. Right now I am working on building kickpanel pods to house either 6.5's or: :cool: 8's.

Rarkov 19th July 2003 08:44 AM

Here is the method I know...

1) Clean your well and cover ALL of it with about 3-4 layers of masking tape.

2) Use about 3 layers of fibre glass and go over the top edge of the well.

3) Trim down the top edge to desired height.

4) Take out after drying period

5) Use a piece of felt / old fleece and cover the top with it. Pull it tight and fasten it around the edges.

6) Make an MDF ring to hold your speaker and make stand-offs to the bottom of your new enclosure. Doesn't need to be too strong.

7) Cover the felt with pure resin until it has gone all the way through the felt / fleece. Try to avoid the middle bit inside the MDF ring.

8) Cut out the bit inside the MDF ring.

9) Finally, use car body filler to smooth out "fleece" area and finish as you want!

Couldn't be easier! ;)

Good luck & nice car!!!
Gaz

omni1 19th July 2003 09:44 AM

You can do the masking tape thing or you can spray a heavy coat of PVA (polyvinyl alcohol) onto the surface instead. I prefer to dynamat then PVA over the top of the dynamat so I get a better fit then masking tape. Either way it's gonna shrink so it wont be exact.

4 Layers of 1.5 oz matt in a 50/50 resin to matt ratio is about 1/2" of material. I would shoot for that. Don't use 3/4 oz matt, it's too wimpy and you'll be laying forever. Be sure to roll the bubbles out with a fiberglass layup roller. Trying to brush out the bubbles is not a replacement for a good rolled laminate.

Allow a minumum of 24 hours before you pull the layup. I would recommend you glass in MDF/Medite into the layup for bracing to reduce shrinkage and provide a surface to square up the top.

mc91183 21st July 2003 02:42 AM

My System

Got my subs in the car (in my old box), they are hittin so hard yo can see the drivers side rear quarter panel move in and out!!! and my right rear tailight is rattling. Hopefullly, all will be fixed when i put my permanent box in there.

Ran into some troubles...Planned the box dimensions out wrong so now i have to take out the entire back seat to slide the subs in!!! Runnin the wires was fairly simple, and we hid them well. I'll have pics up soon of the uncarpeted box, then later on, the final product.

Anyone know of a place to get carpeting for the sub box? My friends said Wal-Mart, but i'm lookin for some good quality stuff

mc91183 23rd July 2003 04:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a conceptual picture of my enclosure my friend designed using AutoCad. There is another 12" sub on the opposite of the visible sub.

We're installing the enclosure tomorrow and carpeting is soon to follow. More pics will be up soon

Rarkov 23rd July 2003 01:17 PM

Where's the pic?!

Matttcattt 23rd July 2003 02:00 PM

a. i cant get your website to load...

b. why do you want to use fibreglass? do you want to get 1a complex shaped box, so it will fit in your car?

mc91183 28th July 2003 02:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of my enclosure (still has to be carpeted and neons set up)