Rockford 401s repair question, and update.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
now that i have the transformer removed from the amp, can i test it with a 1.5 volt battery for shorts, it all looks good now that i got the baked glue stuff off it.

I was to much of a sissy to try to power it up even with a current limiter. I wanna postpone the noob smoke, pop, and sizzle as long as possible, not to mention replacing the parts I just replaced.

I replaced the irfz44's Q6,10,11,7. The 100 ohm(R36,19,20,45) resistors on the way to the (q5,2,1,4)driver transistors are all fine. I havent checked the control ic, yet because not powering this up just yet.

Is there anything I am missing, or doing wrong so far?

I don't know how you would test with a 1.5v battery.

It's best to test the transformer in the board because simply moving the terminal windings slightly can break the short and make it appear that the transformer is OK.

With a proper current limiter and the transistors tightly clamped to the sink, there's virtually no way to damage the new parts.

Power it up with the remote and ground only (no B+). Measure the DC voltage on the gate legs of each of the power supply transistors. They should all read ~5v.

Why do you think the transformer is defective?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.