DJBass amp has missed his calling in life

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hmm i really dont see the point in that, although i am looking to build a high power amp but that is for amplifying my electronic drum kit and not for trying to make myself throw up or shrivil up and die.

as for the censorship thigie, are we allowed to swear still? (ei. will there be anything nasty happen to us if you can still SEE the word)

""how is this majorly different from any other audio-related hobby?""

Exactly - There are people into the hardware, and people into the music. Some people can tell you if a cable makes the system bright, or the bass muddy etc. Other people can tell you everything about the artist. Who am I to judge? Personally I'd rather talk to the person who knows their music, but the basshead may well sort out your home theaters sub problems :nod:

Cheers

Rob

Hightec - you've got 'LOUDNESS' as your avatar and you're laughing at Db drag racing:confused: ;) :)

This dB drag´s guys seem to be nuts, but sometime ago I designed some amps for this kind of competitions and actually I´ve seen a lot of people really making a lot of research over acoustics, amplifier design and speakers assembly. Speaker manufacturers, for example, spend a lot of money, for marketing and R&D reasons.

Anyway, they really appear nuts...:nod:

Anyway, they really appear nuts...

Walks like a duck?

An entire industry does seem to have grown around these events, and a certain amount of R&D does seem to go in that direction because of it. But, could it be argued that this R&D and associated sponsorships are just marketing tools.?

How many of us wouldn’t love to have a Pass Labs sponsorship in the Audiophiles Low Distortion Olympics?

Of course no listens to these things, that energy would have the same effect on living things as the did the xylophone in "Atlas Shrugged" (obscure acoustic reference!)

I have to wonder how many of these guys are trying to find the manufacture and design details for the 240dB active sonar transducers that the US Navy has been trying to test.

Quacks like a duck...

The good parts of this...

Like the previous poster, I too have seen the advances that these competions have created. Given the axiom (which you can agree with or not) that competion improves the breed, the SPL events have created signficant advances in switching power supplies, Class D or S or what ever, along with driving down the basic price point. Back twenty years ago when I bought my first car system, the Alpine 50 watt amps were several weeks of salary for me. There were few car drivers above 6x9's, so I ended up using Magnat's out of DQM9s. (wish I had those drivers back). There were not many trucks that sounded better - and it cost more money than I want to think about. I could only afford it because I swept up at a local stereo dealer. If he had not been so kind, there would have been no way.

Nowdays, I could build a better system for $500. Sure there has been advancements in electronics in general, but these guys, along with the kids thumping down the street have been the ones causing the car audio to get better. They will be the ones driving multi-channel into the car real soon.

really, i think the competitions kinda miss the point entirely. the original premise was from who had the loudest, deepest, and most punchy sound system in car. but now you have a system that can't play music in a car that can't drive. in some ways neither mobile or audio... (test tones are kinda audio, but more like err test tones then what i call audio)

there is also a SQ competition section, which also suffers from flaws.

one of the oddball comps is dBSPL or Drive-By SPL. a SPL measurement taken 6ft from the car! this only serves to reinforce the "car audio = bassheads who want attention" stereotype.

i have my set of opinions on what should be done, but they likely will just stay opinions.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
=W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W====W=O=W=====!=!=!=!=!=!=!=!=!=!=!=!=!=!=!

like my car......
;) ;) ;)

I agree with putting an incredible system in a car. I don't see the point of putting $80,000 worth of bass. What a total loser, even if he has money to burn..... That much money would pay my salry for 2 years and I'd live pretty well off of that. The man needs to get a life. Yeah, I like bass but what's the point when you can't listen to it unless you are 100 feet away? I understand R&D and marketing though. What a waste of hardware and not to mention, a good vehicle. OK, I'm too practical. I guess we need idiots like that guy to laugh at.... Don't we?

Mr. "Bad Attitude" signing off,

Chris

$80,000 worth of bass, give me a break..... grumble grumble ;)

i actualy am very deeply involved into car audio

have been to alot of comps

the point behind the dbdrag assosiation is to get as loud as possible as long as you dont go over 80hrz

it seems dumb
but it is actualy alot of fun
of course you dont sit in the cars or nothing
but you get to see alot of beefy subs/amps
meet alot of great guys

there is more to it than seems

its a hell of a time you guys should check it out

they dont play music though
just test tones
and dont even realy play them
just "burp"them
if you play them for long the subs will all blow

eh ive been ranting enough
anyone else has any questions about how they do things or anything
just reply with you questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.