4 channel to power a whole system? Is this good or bad? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2010, 01:09 AM   #1
chipper is offline chipper  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to chipper Send a message via Yahoo to chipper
Default 4 channel to power a whole system? Is this good or bad?

I have three RF amps to use, punch 800.2 (one side doesn't work) punch 40x2 and a RF punch 400a4. Well one I was just bored and pulled out my handy four channel Rockford and used my Rockford Fosgate Punch HE dvc sub and bridged the rear channel to the sub and I used my Polk audio components that I had sitting under my bed for awhile and connected everything up sounded just awesome, nice clear tight sounding bass and highs. But the thing I don't under stand is the amp runs hot after a few mintues. I set the gain on the subwoofer side 75% up and the high/mid side approx 85% up but the sub side runs hotter. Why is this? I don't plan on using this Jforever but I just wanted to test the power from this amp

EDIT: the sub is not DVC it's a svc 4 ohm.

Last edited by chipper; 17th August 2010 at 01:12 AM. Reason: The sub is not a dvc it's svc.
Old 17th August 2010, 01:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ocool_15 Send a message via Yahoo to ocool_15
First thing, if its a DVC whats the impedance of the coils? If your running a 2ohm load bridged that would result in increased power dissipation. What are your relative levels at?
Old 17th August 2010, 01:19 AM   #3
chipper is offline chipper  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to chipper Send a message via Yahoo to chipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocool_15 View Post
First thing, if its a DVC whats the impedance of the coils? If your running a 2ohm load bridged that would result in increased power dissipation. What are your relative levels at?
No, it's a SVC 4 ohm. Gain for the side that's powering the sub is roughly at 75% up and my bass on my pioneer is approx at 50% up.

Hide this!Advertise here!