3-way front crossover, active or passive? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2010, 08:27 PM   #1
Jonas83 is offline Jonas83  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default 3-way front crossover, active or passive?

IŽam thinking of setting up a 3-way front system.
IŽve read some similar threads within the subject, but still confused.

Should i use passive or active crossovers? in my mind active would be better since i need/want an 18db slope, a passive filter like that contains some components.... the possibility of level adjustment via active filters is also intresting.

However, my active crossover knowledge is quite small.....

Setup:
1 x 2ch amp (6,5") + 1 x 4ch amp (mid + tweeter)

Nice 6,5" (not decided yet), DLS UP2.5" driver, Mb quart QM19HX

--600hz|600hz-5100hz|5100hz--

Any ideas? = )
Old 15th August 2010, 10:01 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'd suggest that you use active crossovers. Do the amps have crossovers built in?
Old 15th August 2010, 10:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok. Yes they do but only lowpass on the 4ch. I do want to change amps later on so it would be nice to just swap them at that point. Any suggestion on components? (have a couple of analog devices OP27 somewhere) and maybe schematics with level control that is any good? = ). Never been building active before, only passive. so help is appriciated (sorry if my english is bad = P)

//J
Old 15th August 2010, 04:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You may want to purchase a head unit with a built-in DSP. The ones with a microphone can automatically equalize the system.
Old 15th August 2010, 10:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

DSP in all honor, i usally do i with Truerta software + mic. I have a nice kenwood HU and manually adjust the eq. Thats kind of the fun part, i want to know how,when and why all that falls away using auto-dsp+mic it feels like. Maybe iŽam a little oldschool there but as long as i get it the way i want iŽam pleased. Of course there is alot of better HU avalible, but the quiestion is do i really really need it? and would it make 500$ worth of difference?
Old 15th August 2010, 11:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I assumed that you wanted the most precise reproduction when you mentioned the OP27s. If you like your current head unit and have an RTA with an accurate mic, that may be all you need for equalization.

Maybe someone here can suggest a specific crossover. A lot of people like the Audio Control stuff but in the past, they were impossible to get working properly without engine noise. Maybe the new stuff is better. Some of the older, high-end (non-digital) crossovers from Pioneer or Sony may be what you're looking for.
Old 16th August 2010, 03:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The OP27Žs wasnŽt mentioned for this project, but i do have them..... I think if i just get the crossovers right it will produce a good result with even if it demands a little tricky tricky = ). The real problem is still the active filter layout, passive i know.... active i donŽt. IŽve had my eyes open for some time now after an older crossover but they is not easy to find, and those i did found where way to expensive compared to digital new ones and often in a really bad condition. and yes... engine noise can be a little annoying.

Hide this!Advertise here!