Sub placed in trunk? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2010, 09:12 AM   #1
ZeNmAc is offline ZeNmAc  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sub placed in trunk?

I'm unfortunate enough to not have a hatchback, which is great except for sub placement.

I know its very common to put a sub in the trunk of a sedan, but to me that seems like one of the worst possible places to put a speaker. The sound has to go through the back seat and possibly a few passengers. That and perhaps the empty stock speaker holes.

I guess the wavelength is much longer than the seats, but even considering that, does that placement muffle the subs SQ at all? I'd appreciate any explanation of this.

I was planning on buying some 6.5'' tang band subwoofer-like drivers and putting them infinite baffle in place of the 6x9's. So my question is, would a 10'' sealed sub in the trunk get all sorts of nasty standing waves? Is it ideal to leave the stock speaker holes open, or seal them up?
Old 15th August 2010, 05:08 PM   #2
FireII is offline FireII  United States
diyAudio Member

I would throw the 10 in and then play around with the placement/orientation of the sub until I found the best arrangment that gives me the desired results. As far as the speaker holes, I'd say the same thing, I'd actually be very suprised if you could hear the difference.
Old 19th August 2010, 08:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hm, well I don't have any suitable drivers yet. Thanks for the suggestion, but I was hoping for a technical explanation so I can choose the more ideal option .

The cost will be about the same, I might save a little on a single larger driver, but unless anyone can convince me the trunk won't do terrible things I'm going to go for the two IB 6.5's.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:25 PM   #4
FireII is offline FireII  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeNmAc View Post
Hm, well I don't have any suitable drivers yet. Thanks for the suggestion, but I was hoping for a technical explanation so I can choose the more ideal option .

The cost will be about the same, I might save a little on a single larger driver, but unless anyone can convince me the trunk won't do terrible things I'm going to go for the two IB 6.5's.

Well, sure the trunk is going to create "terrible" things, but will you notice them? Hell, cars in general create "terrible" things, especially windows, when it comes to reflections, acoustics, phase, etc......
Old 25th August 2010, 11:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Let's get real here, 6.5'' "subwoofer-like" drivers simply can't pump out as much bass as a real subwoofer. They might not put out as much bass as your 6x9s! That's not to say they'll sound bad if you like jazz at moderate volumes, but you simply need something much bigger if you want to pound.

What's the vehicle? (Make, model, year). A picture of the trunk would help.

Can you shove some 10s into that position?

How sturdy is the rear seat? I once vented subs through a classic Olds Cutlass' back seat, which was just thin foam and springs. But often today the seat is very thick foam, the trunk seatback is covered with sheet metal, and won't transmit sound well at all...
Old 28th August 2010, 08:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireII View Post
Well, sure the trunk is going to create "terrible" things, but will you notice them? Hell, cars in general create "terrible" things, especially windows, when it comes to reflections, acoustics, phase, etc......
I know, a car seems like an audio nightmare . Right now I have some pioneer 5.25" coaxials in the doors with the stock 6x9's in the back and even though the bass is muddy and bloated, the mids have a terrible peak with the windows up, and the rest is just mediocre, I really enjoy the sound (with the windows down :P ).

I know it's terrible, and I'd build something for home if I'd use it, but with 1hr drive almost every day and 0hrs using speakers at home I guess my nightmare will have to continue. :/ So to answer you, I basically don't want boomy one note type bass.

I listen to metal so I was thinking a sealed sub and let the cabin gain counteract the rolloff for a more or less flat response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
Let's get real here, 6.5'' "subwoofer-like" drivers simply can't pump out as much bass as a real subwoofer. They might not put out as much bass as your 6x9s! That's not to say they'll sound bad if you like jazz at moderate volumes, but you simply need something much bigger if you want to pound.

What's the vehicle? (Make, model, year). A picture of the trunk would help.

Can you shove some 10s into that position?

How sturdy is the rear seat? I once vented subs through a classic Olds Cutlass' back seat, which was just thin foam and springs. But often today the seat is very thick foam, the trunk seatback is covered with sheet metal, and won't transmit sound well at all...
This is the driver I was referring to.

It's a 2005 Corolla. I don't know for sure how much foam is in the seats, but they are nice, soft, and thick (very comfortable).

This isn't my trunk, but it's basically the same. The floor of the trunk is some flimsy cardboard shaped plastic looking stuff with carpet over the top. Mine is warped over the spare tire. I was thinking of replacing it with a thick piece of plywood or MDF.
Click the image to open in full size.

I guess I could try to replace the stock speakers with subs, but the metal cutout would restrict a lot of airflow which couldn't be good. It seems like the only option for that would be cutting out the stock holes, and modifying the car's structure doesn't sound exactly safe.

Maybe I could completely seal off the trunk and use the stock speaker holes to create a bizarre horn loaded enclosure lol.

But seriously, thanks for reading my insanely long posts and helping with this, I appreciate it .
Old 29th August 2010, 07:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

You may not pay attention to my advice since I'm new on these forums but I'll try regardless.

My vehicle is similar to yours. I have a 2007 Toyota yaris sedan. I could link my build photo log but I'll wait until asked to do so.

You're going to be surprised with the response of a subwoofer in your vehicle. Look up the term cabin gain. In my application I'm using a 15" subwoofer mounted I a fiberglass enclosure on the passenger's side of the trunk. The make of the sub is irrelevant at this point. I have actually removed the rear speakers since I don't want music playing behind me. I'm also using a rather exotic three way component set up front...again the manufacturer is not important.

If your situation was mine, I would ask myself what is my source? What amp(s) am I using? What components do I want to use? How far am I getting into this?

All of this has to do with where to place and what sub to use.

In my case, I'm competing in sound quality. Competition with my setup. A lot of time has been invested in speaker placement, sound deadening, actual fabrication, and component choice amongst many other variables.

In your situation, what do you want out of the system? What are you going to be listening to? How much time do you want to invest?
Old 29th August 2010, 07:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

One more thing...the idea of using your trunk as a big enclosure in itself isn't beyond the realm of imagination. It's called infinite baffle mounting. Your woofer would need to be carefully chosen for that application though.
Old 29th August 2010, 07:36 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Another addendum to your questions...

Standing waves was a concern of yours. Unless you're slapping a subwoofer into a square box with no dampening or polyfill, you're probably not going to hear bad subwoofer response in regards to standing waves.

I'm telling you that you're basically worrying for no reason. Are you going to be fabbing the system yourself or are you going to have some professional help at some point? I'd really like to see you succeed with the and not flounder and become pissed off, swearing off car audio as crap not worth your time.

People who do that just don't know What they're doing in a car audio environment...sorry to say.
Old 30th August 2010, 02:09 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
You may not pay attention to my advice since I'm new on these forums but I'll try regardless.

My vehicle is similar to yours. I have a 2007 Toyota yaris sedan. I could link my build photo log but I'll wait until asked to do so.

You're going to be surprised with the response of a subwoofer in your vehicle. Look up the term cabin gain. In my application I'm using a 15" subwoofer mounted I a fiberglass enclosure on the passenger's side of the trunk. The make of the sub is irrelevant at this point. I have actually removed the rear speakers since I don't want music playing behind me. I'm also using a rather exotic three way component set up front...again the manufacturer is not important.

If your situation was mine, I would ask myself what is my source? What amp(s) am I using? What components do I want to use? How far am I getting into this?

All of this has to do with where to place and what sub to use.

In my case, I'm competing in sound quality. Competition with my setup. A lot of time has been invested in speaker placement, sound deadening, actual fabrication, and component choice amongst many other variables.

In your situation, what do you want out of the system? What are you going to be listening to? How much time do you want to invest?
A link to your build log couldn't hurt, everybody likes pics .

Here's some of the specifics on what I was planning on. I was thinking of getting an active HU, hopefully an alpine 9887 with some 7'' midbass in the doors (I have to measure the hole in the door first, I'm pretty sure it'll fit) and tweeters probably in the stock position, but I'll have to test when I get them. If you want specifics I was looking at some Peerless 830883 and Seas 27TFFNCG. I'll probably get some sound deadening for the doors and possibly the trunk.

I wasn't planning on getting an external amp for the fronts since I wanted to get better quality speakers and add an amp later if necessary. That is probably as far as I'll go to begin with since the HU and fronts are already getting expensive and just installing those will take plenty of time, but I'm planning on adding a sub and amp later depending on how much bass the peerless woofers have. That is why I created this thread, because if I buy and install everything else and there isn't much bass I want to know what sub and amp to buy. Even if the woofers I chose have plenty of bass, I'll want to add a sub later to improve bass extension.

To answer your last questions, it's not competitive or anything, I just love good SQ and since during school I listen to the most music in my car I decided to upgrade that. Ideally I want as flat of a response as possible, I'll probably be buying the well known, cheap behringer mic and a preamp for setting up the crossover and eq. Like I said, I'll mostly be listening to metal. I'm going back to school tomorrow, so I don't have a ton of time, but I'm willing to spend a while getting it done right. I'd rather not tear apart the whole car if I don't have to.

Quote:
One more thing...the idea of using your trunk as a big enclosure in itself isn't beyond the realm of imagination. It's called infinite baffle mounting. Your woofer would need to be carefully chosen for that application though.
That's what seems like the most ideal setup to me, but again, I don't think a sub will fit unless I cut out the stock speaker holes.

Quote:
Another addendum to your questions...

Standing waves was a concern of yours. Unless you're slapping a subwoofer into a square box with no dampening or polyfill, you're probably not going to hear bad subwoofer response in regards to standing waves.

I'm telling you that you're basically worrying for no reason. Are you going to be fabbing the system yourself or are you going to have some professional help at some point? I'd really like to see you succeed with the and not flounder and become pissed off, swearing off car audio as crap not worth your time.

People who do that just don't know What they're doing in a car audio environment...sorry to say.
I'll be doing everything myself since I don't want to spend my life savings on my car audio . I was more worried about the standing waves from sticking a sub in the closed in trunk. Kind of like sticking a home sub in a corner under a desk.

One last thing, feel free to suggest any amps, I haven't even looked at amps yet.

Hide this!Advertise here!