Lubricatoin for Mechanical Bits?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a JVC El Kameleon (the CD player with the face that goes all black when turned off) that is fully motorized. The unit is getting old (built circa 1999!:eek:), but still functions wonderfully minus one thing: the face.

The motorized face works well, but every once in a while will get hung up or jammed and I have to tap it with my hand etc. so the various flaps can finish opening/closing/receding etc.

I'm quite certain it's just an issue of lubricating the mechanical bits since it gets jammed 1 out of every 5 times, and it takes very little effort to unjam the face (really, a tap is all it needs).

So my question: where can I get a good lubricant for the various mechanisms? Is there some sort of household product I could use?

Three classes of product come to mind.
(1)There is a lanolin based lubricant that is good. The down-side is that your equipment may smell like a lambs wool!

(2) Also you might try the teflon based products. Probably available widely but pushbike shops will certainly stock it for chain lubrication.

(3) And I guess the obvious one is the lubricant they use on sewing machines. Some sort of light machine oil.

I expect a lot of others too.

Cheers, Jonathan

Thanks a ton, everyone.

Every single post here was helpful. I tried a bit of sewing machine grease and that actually seems to have fixed the problem, and as finbar suggested, it will likely accumulate dust etc., so I'm going to get something more professional/appropriate, such as white grease (exactly what I was looking for but didn't know the name). I also played a bit with the mechanical bits to check for bends, and I think one of the lower arms was bent slightly. So it's working MUCH better now.

Thanks again! This is why I love this forum. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.