Buying from Amazon.com: weird deals - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2010, 02:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Buying from Amazon.com: weird deals

There are Boston Acoustics SR60s on Amazon for almost half the retail (Crutchfield's) price. I was worried about refurbs so called one of the sellers. I asked if they are new in the box and had factory warranties (I already knew from BA they didn't). His reply was they don't but were new, sealed in the box and he would warranty them for one year. I asked for a serial number that I could have BA search. He said they do not have serial numbers. Then he said I would have to buy it to see the serial number. I asked him why the shady response, and he said they don't want BA to trace the serial number back to the seller. Why? Said because they were selling below retail. I asked where they got them, and he would not answer.

So, I could really care less IF they are indeed new speakers. The warranty is not worth $226, the difference in cost.

Anybody bought lots of stuff on Amazon? Has your stuff definitely been the correct, real item?

Thanks for any advice,
Jim
Old 7th August 2010, 07:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

GREY market items are always like you described above. If you want to pay full price you will never run into this sort of thing....
Old 11th August 2010, 02:51 AM   #3
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I have not bought a lot of stuff on there, but had no problems with what I did buy. I think a lot of them are dumping stuff, either they have new models coming in or need some cash, etc. Anyway, there are some great deals when that happens.
Old 26th August 2010, 12:07 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yep, dumping. That's how a Clarion or other amp can end up super cheap, dealers buy them to get a good prices on something else like radios, and sell 'em off without much profit.

Amazon protects your satisfaction, so I would go for it personally. Just check the merchandise on arrival.
Old 29th August 2010, 08:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Theres one other thing that could be going on.....drop shipping.

The retailer doesn't have the item in his possession so they give ANY info on it.

And this doesn't fall into "shady practice" in any way....especially since it's a sale item.

Hide this!Advertise here!