DIN cable to RCA problem!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an oldschool Kenwood KRC-929 cassette deck...(crazy, but i still prefer analog sound)

this head unit has 2 DIN plugs (5- pins each) for the output of the front and rear channels instead of the standard RCA output plugs...

These DIN plugs were used in some of the old school car stereo and amp applications from different manufactures (alpine, Kenwood, etc.) and probably have a universal wiring code as to which pin goes is for what lead.

1) buy- I either need where I can buy an adapter cable that converts each of the 2 male DIN cables to 2 RCA female (left and right channels). Where can I buy these cables cheap??

-or-

2) do it myself- All I need to know is the assignment for each of the 5 pins inside each of the 2 DIN plugs ( one for front channels left/right, the other for rear channels left/right)?

Each DIN (ie, front left (+), front Left (-), front right (-), front right (+), and the same for the rear channels...

I've looked all over the itnernet and have come up short...
Once I know, I can take it from here!

You need to improve your Google skills :) Type in "din plug" and check the first hit which is Wikipedia.

There are no rear channels, tape is only stereo. I believe the sockets are just duplicates to make it easier to connect different sources. Or were you actually just trying to say front panel socket and rear panel socket?

They are quite fiddly to solder, the use of a "helping hands" is mandatory!

Last edited:
I think he means the tape deck has two stereo outputs, after the front/back fader (its for automobile use).

In each 5-pin socket, most likely only 3 pins are used: L, R, and ground. Ground is always the centre pin.

DIN levels are typically lower than RCA, if they follow the genuine German specification - so you might find you run out of gain if feeding into a modern RCA-based line input.

I think he means the tape deck has two stereo outputs, after the front/back fader (its for automobile use).

In each 5-pin socket, most likely only 3 pins are used: L, R, and ground. Ground is always the centre pin.

DIN levels are typically lower than RCA, if they follow the genuine German specification - so you might find you run out of gain if feeding into a modern RCA-based line input.

Each DIN output will have a left and right channel output, but which pins are positive and neagtive???

This is from a Kenwood amp but the numbering scheme should be the same as on the head unit DIN.

Attachments

• kenwooddin01.jpg
    kenwooddin01.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 168
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.