DIN cable to RCA problem!!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2010, 07:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIN cable to RCA problem!!!!

I have an oldschool Kenwood KRC-929 cassette deck...(crazy, but i still prefer analog sound)

this head unit has 2 DIN plugs (5- pins each) for the output of the front and rear channels instead of the standard RCA output plugs...

These DIN plugs were used in some of the old school car stereo and amp applications from different manufactures (alpine, Kenwood, etc.) and probably have a universal wiring code as to which pin goes is for what lead.

1) buy- I either need where I can buy an adapter cable that converts each of the 2 male DIN cables to 2 RCA female (left and right channels). Where can I buy these cables cheap??

-or-

2) do it myself- All I need to know is the assignment for each of the 5 pins inside each of the 2 DIN plugs ( one for front channels left/right, the other for rear channels left/right)?

Each DIN (ie, front left (+), front Left (-), front right (-), front right (+), and the same for the rear channels...

I've looked all over the itnernet and have come up short...
Once I know, I can take it from here!
Old 27th July 2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

You need to improve your Google skills Type in "din plug" and check the first hit which is Wikipedia.

There are no rear channels, tape is only stereo. I believe the sockets are just duplicates to make it easier to connect different sources. Or were you actually just trying to say front panel socket and rear panel socket?

They are quite fiddly to solder, the use of a "helping hands" is mandatory!

Last edited by richie00boy; 27th July 2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 27th July 2010, 10:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I think he means the tape deck has two stereo outputs, after the front/back fader (its for automobile use).

In each 5-pin socket, most likely only 3 pins are used: L, R, and ground. Ground is always the centre pin.

DIN levels are typically lower than RCA, if they follow the genuine German specification - so you might find you run out of gain if feeding into a modern RCA-based line input.
Old 27th July 2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Ah ok my bad The pinout on Wikipedia should be relevant still though, most likely just one "side" of the plug is used.
Old 27th July 2010, 11:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I think he means the tape deck has two stereo outputs, after the front/back fader (its for automobile use).

In each 5-pin socket, most likely only 3 pins are used: L, R, and ground. Ground is always the centre pin.

DIN levels are typically lower than RCA, if they follow the genuine German specification - so you might find you run out of gain if feeding into a modern RCA-based line input.
Each DIN output will have a left and right channel output, but which pins are positive and neagtive???
Old 27th July 2010, 11:17 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Moved to car audio
Old 27th July 2010, 11:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

This is from a Kenwood amp but the numbering scheme should be the same as on the head unit DIN.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kenwooddin01.jpg (81.1 KB, 115 views)
Old 28th July 2010, 04:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Nice old Kenwood! Do be aware that there is no universal DIN configuration.

If you're not in the mood to solder, send me a PM/email I think I still have a couple.
Old 5th August 2010, 02:54 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Purchase RCA cables with female ends on one end and cut the other end off, open the unit and replace the din cables with the RCA cables. Simple solder surgery.
Old 5th August 2010, 06:29 PM   #10
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Note that iirc some of those old K-woods had a male and female DIN that looped and had to be connected to each other for it to make audio. They looped an EQ into them. Of course they also had RCA or something output too.

Hide this!Advertise here!