clicking noise when using cd/mp3 player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I installed a new Pioneer Cd/mp3 player in my jeep. Whenever the jeep is running and I'm using the cd or mp3 player I get this popping/clicking noise. It never happens with the radio, just the cd and mp3 player. I've exchanged it for an identical one with the same results. I've rewired it numerous times and even changed the ground location. It can get very loud and frequent and other times not so noticeable and sometimes it gets so bad that the audio goes away completely and I have to turn it off and back on to get it to play again.

Any ideas?????:confused:

Doesn't ignition noise usually speed up and slow down with the motor - sounds kinda motorboaty, not like a "click".

Yes, ignition noise into the ANALOGUE circuits does. I'm suspecting ignition noise in the digital circuits, that is corrupting the data bitstream. That will generate random loud clicks - like a very dirty CD, or even mute the sound altogether if the error correction system can't assemble any valid data.

If the machine works fine when the engine is not running, then RF ignition noise or a 'dirty' power supply is highly likely.

The fact that it requires a 'power off' cycle to work normally again also suggest the microprocessor is getting put into an invalid lock-up state by data corruption.

Yes, ignition noise into the ANALOGUE circuits does. I'm suspecting ignition noise in the digital circuits, that is corrupting the data bitstream. That will generate random loud clicks - like a very dirty CD, or even mute the sound altogether if the error correction system can't assemble any valid data.

If the machine works fine when the engine is not running, then RF ignition noise or a 'dirty' power supply is highly likely.

The fact that it requires a 'power off' cycle to work normally again also suggest the microprocessor is getting put into an invalid lock-up state by data corruption.

What do I need to fix the problem?

One solution might be to buy 2 suppressor chokes and put then in the two power wires; but that's rather experimental: it won't fix it if it's picking up noise elsewhere.

Are you taking the two power wires from 'good' power points? Does it have a wiring harness conector for a radio/tape/cd in the dash already?

And how/where are you grounding the cd player?

Try unplugging the antenna from the radio - obviously the radio will not work then, but see if it plays CDs ok with no antenna.

And have you got anything plugged into its 'line in' or 'aux in' sockets - if it has such things?

Also try unplugging the speakers alternately - you'll have to have at least one connected to hear if it's working OK, but if its picking up noise on a speaker wire, you might be able to isolate which one.

Also, how old is the Jeep? Does it have a distributor o is it distributorless? It could be a bad cap and rotor. This will produce a click noise. Does it vary with engine RPM? This was not determined yet in this thread.

Pioneer usually has power lead chokes installed in the harness already.

What condition are the discs you are playing? Clean or heavy scratches?

Have you replaced ignition wires? Resistor plugs?

Does it still do it with the engine off?

I get clicking noise on my pc speakers of late. They are a pair of Samson Media One 4a.

The curious thing is that I hear even when no music plays, so I thought it can't be the drivers getting stressed. Even if I turn their volume all the way down, this clicking noise can come out with unaltered loudness.

Any ideas? I really hope this can't be a problem of the drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.