Soundstream Reference 705s in need of repair - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2010, 06:09 PM   #1
kaw462 is offline kaw462  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Soundstream Reference 705s in need of repair

not sure if it's permissible to ask if anyone out there knows how to get such an amp repaired. SoundStream will no longer take it in for repair as they no longer have parts for it. I'm striking out finding someone local to repair it. Anyone know of a shop (local to Atlanta GA), or via mail that will still repair these classic amps?
Old 20th July 2010, 07:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw462 View Post
not sure if it's permissible to ask if anyone out there knows how to get such an amp repaired. SoundStream will no longer take it in for repair as they no longer have parts for it. I'm striking out finding someone local to repair it. Anyone know of a shop (local to Atlanta GA), or via mail that will still repair these classic amps?

Whats wrong with it ? I have a stash of parts for these if you need something. Let me know
Old 20th July 2010, 09:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The right front channel operates intermittently. It takes very high volume to trigger it to begin working. Most of the time if volume is still high it works. Periodically it will sound scratchy. Once the volume is turned down, its hit or miss if it works.

I may have found a local repair outfit, but I may still need parts if the repair shop does not have it. Thanks much!
Old 20th July 2010, 10:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Try working all of the switches and potentiometers are through their entire range repeatedly to see if the problem gets better/worse.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw462 View Post
The right front channel operates intermittently. It takes very high volume to trigger it to begin working. Most of the time if volume is still high it works. Periodically it will sound scratchy. Once the volume is turned down, its hit or miss if it works.

I may have found a local repair outfit, but I may still need parts if the repair shop does not have it. Thanks much!

Either bad switches or bad solder on the driver boards. You should be able to get a reasonable flat rate if its this sort of repair issue....Best of luck
Old 21st July 2010, 04:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'll try switches, etc tonight.
I have a lead on one local repair guy, and did find one way down in Jonesboro also. So I think I will be able to get it fixed one way or another!
Thanks for the replies!
Old 24th July 2010, 04:33 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Clean the switches and pods with some deoxit and check the fuse holders and make sure the caps arent leaking. I have a ref 405 bridged stereo in one of my cars its sweet cant beat the old school stuff!

Jimmie
Old 25th July 2010, 06:59 PM   #8
finbar is offline finbar  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wade Srewart, AKA ace956, is repairing amps.

Old school soundstream designer repairing?

Soundstream Amplifier Repair - DIYMA.com
Old 26th July 2010, 05:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks all for your suggestions! I did find a guy who fix the issue in 1 hour. I was just a bad switch. He said it looked like it had a nick on it from a screwdriver. Strange. Anyhow, she's like new. just need to get by subs re-foamed and I'm totally back in business. Thanks again all!

Hide this!Advertise here!