amp mod - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2010, 08:54 AM   #1
timwebb is offline timwebb  United States
diyAudio Member

Default amp mod

ok was talking to a friend and he was telling me about mods that could be done to certain amps like the mtx 1501d that could be modded by the factory to run at on ohm or lower,and some kicker amps too.anyone ever heard this?
Old 11th July 2010, 09:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Many times, the mods simply defeat the protection circuits which often results in much more significant damage when (not if) the amp fails.
Old 11th July 2010, 09:44 AM   #3
timwebb is offline timwebb  United States
diyAudio Member

yeah cause they would not believe when i told them that.but im young and older people wont listen. but its people out there doing cap mods or something to amps.i seen some online on sites, now people are starting to want it.
Old 11th July 2010, 09:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwebb View Post
yeah cause they would not believe when i told them that.but im young and older people wont listen. but its people out there doing cap mods or something to amps.i seen some online on sites, now people are starting to want it.

Cap mods are not that much of a far step to the unlimited wild side of amp mods and they usually actually help more then hinder in my experience, to a given point. But Perry is correct that most other mods do either disable or bypass internal safety limiters the makers built into the amp to keep it alive and protected.

Most quality amps have a 3 to 5 DB margin built into them. This margin is designed into the amp as a safety margin of design. Call it a toughing of design to help protect it from abuse. When people ask to use this margin on a steady basis the amp just sees a harsher failure mode with more damage then would have been if the amp was operated at a lower level of operation.

Its just plain simpler and cheaper to buy a amp of the power level you want then to mod up a amp to get 3 DB's more output. The manufacturers were trying to sell you something that was reliable enough to respect there product and become a loyal buyer/owner. Minor upgrades for SQ can be worthwhile while not endangering the amp, but power upgrades always seem to end up leaving the device virtually beyond repair upon failure. Durability upgrades can actually remove the weak links that were ENGINEERED into the device to protect it. This also will end up pressing other components into failure mode hence the beyond repair achievement. Repairing a amp and rebuilding it completely are two entirely different scenarios especially cost wise...

Folks don't seem to understand that every component inside of a amp was DESIGNED into the whole product and alterations of that design can be tricky unless you do the reverse engineering to actually see what your doing to the whole amp.

Car makers test drive and crash cars to test them, don't you think amp makers blow up car amps to test them also to learn failure modes and what not ????? Safety testing and evaluation is part of just about every product meant to be sold openly on the market. If not there would be tons of law suits about failed electronics...

PS 3 DB's is a doubling of output power. It can also double heat load on everything including the heatsink and power draw on the supply side. So you see this can be a problem when the sink was only designed for X amount of power by DESIGN. < you will get the thermal roll back circuitry running and thermal shutdown involved also, this must be all bypassed or reverse engineered to suit the extended operation or the amp just won't run correctly. Power terminals melt and solder liquefies from heat loading, and things fall apart off the boards...etc... the list goes on and on ...
Then to your ears to double the SPL you need to quadruple power output as 3 DB's is just noticeably louder to most people not twice as loud. The math does not act linear, its log scale. So if your 1000 watt amp ain't cutting it you will need a 4,000+ watt amp to achieve a real difference, not a 2000 watt amp under duress.... The numbers just don't add up for SPL modding...IMO

Everybody wants more then their moneys worth nowadays, unfortunately no one is selling that to my knowledge. You get what you pay for its as simple as that. And like another member here says in his post "You can always turn it down" < if you buy something too big in the first place, and it will likely last a whole lot longer...

Of do as I do and quote Scotty for Star Trek "Captain ! I'm given her all shes got. If I give her any more she'll blow" .... LOL LOL LOL....

Hide this!Advertise here!