New to Car Audio, not DIY, needs advice. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2010, 07:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question New to Car Audio, not DIY, needs advice.

My mom lives in Ohio (i live in Seattle), and saturday parts express has a tent sale with some dime on the dollar deals. If I get some good suggestions soon, I can have her scout for some drivers for a 2way or even three way setup.

I have buit several home audio speakers, I am used to passive XO's and enclosures, what makes a good loudspeaker, I know something of getting quality parts.

BUT, I am lost in how to translate that to car audio I am getting an old 1992 ford Taurus from a friend next month. Apparently it has space for 6.5" in front and 6x9's in the back.

I have used Daytons and seas a lot in the past, but it looks like I will have trouble getting everything to fit. I would like to just install 4 reference tweeters (or seas) and 4 rs180 midranges at 8Ohm, but I do not know it it will fit in the door or how I would get the tweeters to fit, It seems Like there is not enough room. the rears I guess I could use an adapter to get the midrange to fit.

I do not know if coaxials that are up to that performance per dollar. I have two extra rs180's and would like to use those if possible.

I have a super tight budget and would have to wait a while to get a good amp.

I only want even CLEAN audiophile sound, i am not a bass head so i am not going down the subwoofer rout and i dont think i will need a huge amount of power.

I found these pictures on the net to help me visualize what I will be dealing with.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3182890
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th July 2010, 10:22 PM   #2
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't bother with the rears, personally.

As far as checking clearances, have to break out the tape measure and see what you're working with
Old 12th July 2010, 12:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Actually, if one is going to without a subwoofer, I would suggest looking into those Tang Band 6x9 subwoofers that Parts Express has available for sale. The only down side is that they have an odd mounting cutout.

As for up front, I would use the RS180s in the door or kick panels combined with a set of Tang Band 3" W3-1364SA Bamboo full range drivers mounted on axis. Another favorite full range driver to utilize in the automotive environment is the Fountek FR88EX, available from Madisound.

Hide this!Advertise here!