Is 8 inches enough?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am primarily a home audio guy (Zaph B3S at the office, Frugal Horns in living room) but just got a '06 350Z and want to upgrade the system. Hoping I could get some guidance from you all. I am just looking for good clean sound at moderate SPL and moderate price, not to rattle the windows of the house a block away.

Here's what I am looking at:

JVC-KD-R610 Head unit
Infinity Reference 6.5" (front doors)
Infinity Reference 8" Sub
Jensen Power400 Amplifier

Plus a custom built MDF box to fit where the stock sub would go (behind drivers seat), dynamat around enclosure and door speakers and all associated wiring, adapters, mounting hardware, etc.

Any thoughts / input on this setup? Main thing I am debating right now is going with a 10" sub versus 8". Limitation is that I only have about 1.1 CF to fit the sub box in and that is pushing it.

TIA

I have seen a 8 fill a suburban with bass with all the doors open with just 200 watts driving it.
I guess it all depends on how you install it and set it up. We did these custom for a reseller in Santa Cruz. 7th order enclosure mounted under the rear passenger seat, outside the vehicle and just ported under the seat. The enclosure was mounted in a aluminum box bolted to the bottom of the truck body < 4 wheel drive >
All you saw was a small 5 inch grill painted to match the carpet. Corners were old school MB quarts 90's versions. its been a while since these were done. Amp was old school ADS plate 6 channel amp 50 WPC, 2 channels bridged to drive the 8 inch sub.

The install was clean, neat, and un-noticeable to the casual observer. But it was fairly loud and had very good SQ for what it was..

So yes a 8 will do nicely if installed properly. Hope yours does as well...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.