Sub Stopped Working - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2010, 10:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sub Stopped Working

Hey guys,
I bought a Rockford Fosgate Amp and Sub off craigslist about 2 months ago and they worked great until the other day. My sub just stopped working but my amp was still working fine. I went on and bought a kicker L5 from my friend and it worked great... for two days. Idk if my amp is burning out my subs but it shouldnt be. The amp is a 600 amp with 200 rms. The new speaker is an 600 watt with 300 rms. Is there a reason why it stopped working? Help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Chris
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th June 2010, 02:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Perhaps you were pushing your amp too hard - this will cause failures faster than an amplifier with 100w (RMS - other values have little or no meaning) more than needed.

Have you checked all the connections etc? If they're Ok, use a meter to measure the DC voltage on the output. DC cooks speakers effectively.

(another) Chris
Old 26th June 2010, 11:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thats what I'm starting to think. When I was going to work today it didnt work but when I went out for lunch it did. Then on the way home from work it stopped working. It didnt do this for the whole 2 months I had it. Why now?
Old 26th June 2010, 11:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Some versions of the L5 and L7 had problems with broken lead-in wires. If the wires are broken, it could cause the speaker to work intermittently.
Old 27th June 2010, 04:14 PM   #5
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
Some versions of the L5 and L7 had problems with broken lead-in wires. If the wires are broken, it could cause the speaker to work intermittently.
Bingo, the cvr's were bad about the leads as well at least when we were selling them. You can test this by playing your stereo and then going back and pushing on the sub. If its the leads the sub will start playing.

What rockford amp is it? If its an older 200 dsm it will put out way more than 200rms, especially if you use the incorrect load when bridging it to the sub.

Hide this!Advertise here!