Soundstream Ref.405 railvoltage at sub-ch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I'm planning to spend some new caps to my girlfriends amp I'm wondering what's the railvoltage for the subchannel?

The schematic just says "Sub-Rail", great! :rolleyes:
The other channels run off +/-26,5V as the schematic tells me, so 35V rated caps would be ok.

It's still in the car and I don't want to/have time to remove it for measuring.
As I have the schematic and some hi-res pics of the board it wouldn't be a problem to order the parts.

Because I want to spend some extra capacitance to the secondary and you don't have much hight in the sink for bigger caps,
I need to know the railvoltage of the subchannel.
I don't believe it needs the 50V rated ones, so I can maybe look out for flat ones with higher capacitance that will fit in there.

I just saw the transformer ratio in the schematic, 3/10 in the high power setting and 3/8 in high current.
So you are right with something around 45V.

I wanted to change them because the amp has a little turn-off pop in the subchannel, and I hope replacing the caps and resoldering the whole thing will solve this.
It's definitive not caused by a bad chassis ground or the radio, double checked that already.
As the amp already had bad solderjoints on one of the normal channels' FEB, I believe this is a good piont to start with.
And I don't know who used or abused this amp before, and the caps are from somewhat around 1995 or so...

I nearly always put new caps in such old amps, preferring Panasonic's FC Series.

I just read through nearly all Soundstream threats and found something about a pop issue in an threat about an MC245.
I believe that design is a bit too different from mine to be comparable, right?

In that threat an, I believe ex Soundstream engineer, mentioned some kind of relay board being added to that amps to get the problem solved.

I think, I will give resoldering and recaping (correct english?!) a try first.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.