Ma audio hk-802sx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recieved this amp in for repair. I pulled the first 2 legs of the power supply fets off the board. Leg 3 is still solderd to the board. I also pulled the rectifiers and power supply drivers in this amp.

I still read a short directly across power and ground terminals of the amp.

Wondering what could cause this?? Transformer maybe??

Perry,

I cleaned the board . Guess i overlooked the first time i found a solder bridge between legs 1 and 2 for one of the power supply fets.

Next question is The guy had this amp hooked up in his car. He ran 4 guage wire to it. And he added a 2.5 farad cap.

When he had it up and running he said the amp was not as loud as it should be . He said it was only putting out 1/4 of its power and his 600 watt amp was louder.

I told him that his ground and power wire was way to tin for the amp and that his ground wire was also to long (3 ft).

He then told me that the cap he has in the car went from 13.90 volts down to 8 volts with the amp playing and now the cap wont turn on at all and the amp has very low output.

Anything i should check for when putting it back together?

It sounds like the amp wasn't getting enough voltage. Unless the amp was drawing extreme current, the problem was likely outside of the amp.

When you reinstall it, check the voltage at the amplifier's terminals when the amp is driven hard and the engine running. If it's low, check it at the battery. If it's low there, the charging system needs to be checked. If it's OK at the battery, you'll need to check the wiring to determine where you're getting the voltage drop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.