kicker amp problems!HELP ME FIX IT?! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2010, 01:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy kicker amp problems!HELP ME FIX IT?!

i have a mono block kicker amp that i have hooked up many times hoping it would work.when i hook it up it sounds killer at a low volume.then when u turn it up it makes the sub kind of pop...then the last time i hooked it up it blew something out inside my head unit that runs thru the sub rca's because when u would change the song there was sub woofer activity constantly that would not stop even if u turned the sub out all the way down,the only way to make it stop was to unplug the sub rca's all together.and this was true when i completely removed the amp and put my old one back in.i took the amp apart and cant c anything visibly wrong with it.i really want the thing to work!can anyone help??
Old 17th June 2010, 03:30 PM   #2
m4ick is offline m4ick  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds like there is a problem in the amp sending voltage across the RCA shield.

There is a fuse in your head unit tying the RCA shield to ground. It's blown. You can open the HU and replace the fuse or run a fused jumper from your RCA shield to the chassis of the HU.

If the amp is at fault, it will pop the fuse again. Not sure what's happening inside the amp, though.
Old 17th June 2010, 08:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

IT could have a transformer that's shorted from the primary to the secondary.

With the amp powered up and no RCAs plugged into the amp, what's the DC voltage on the input RCA shields of the amp?

Place the black meter probe on the amplifier's ground terminal. Place the red meter probe on the RCA shields of the amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!