alpine 3553 amp, 5 amps at idle & runs hot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
my alpine 3553 amp got flooded a while ago, all the 2sd1669 ( 6pcs ) blew so i replaced them, now the amp works but runs extremely hot and draws 5 amps, even without speakers attached. any suggestions on what to do? a tech guy here said i should adjust the bias, any one care to explain how this is done?

With all transistors clamped tightly to the heatsink, does the heatsink heat up under the power supply transistors (the ones you replaced) or under the output transistors?

If it gets hot under the outputs, the bias may need to be adjusted, especially if someone has moved them from their original setting.

It's also possible that some component has been damaged by the moisture and that's causing the overheating.

its heating up under the power transistors i replaced, it only takes a couple of minutes to get really hot. turns out there are no provisions to adjust the bias, i dont see any trim pots. the transistors are clamped to the heat sink, any suggestions what to check out next?

here some pics
alpine1.jpg

alpine2.jpg

i checked the resistors and they read all 1.5 and 4.5, i attribute the 4.5 ohm reading to the fact that its connected to the transistor. i replaced the c3852 transistors, turns out they weren't bad. Now the power supply goes up to 10 amps when i turn the amp on! what did i do wrong?

The resistors should be within 5% of the marked value. Did you subtract the resistance of the meter leads from the resistance you measured across them?

Are there two C945 and two A733 driver transistors? They would be connected like Q812-Q815 in the attached diagram. If so, remove them and check them. In addition to confirming that no transistor is shorted, you need to confirm that each transistor has two good PN junctions (base to emitter and base to collector -- should read ~0.6v on diode check).

Attachments

• alpine3550-01.jpg
    alpine3550-01.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 98
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.