New guy needs help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2010, 10:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy New guy needs help

I am not a new guy to car audio but a new guy here. I own a couple ARC Audio amps that have been in storage for a number of years. The one I am having trouble with is the 2500CXL. When I went to reinstall the amp in a vehicle I noticed a rattle. I removed the bottom cover and found a transistor clamps had broken in two and had fallen off. Right now I am runnign my IDQ10's off an ARC 2100CXL which is ok but, of that amp, a PPI PC1400, a SS Reference 300, and the 2500CXL the best solution is broken.

I have tried to contact ARC tech support twice with no response so far. I see this little spring clamps in tons of amps over the years, but can't seem to locate a suitable replacement. I did find one clamp that looks very similar listed here:
Transistor clip, Conrad Electronic SE
but that's a site in Germany and would be a huge hassle for such a small part. If they would even sell to me.

Are there any of you wonderful amps tech and repairers out there that know where I might be able to pick one of this little spring clamps up from. You would think such a common item would be an easy find.

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th June 2010, 12:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Max Clips
Old 16th June 2010, 05:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Beautiful. Thank you very much.

I think I remember you electronics website from back in the day. That still something you are doing?

Anyways much appreciated.
Old 16th June 2010, 05:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

After taking the broken clip and doing a few measurements it looks as though the CLP212PG is the proper transistor clip for the ARC Audio 2500CXL and probably the 2500XXK too.
Old 16th June 2010, 05:32 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Also you can get it in Mouser part number 532-6043PB 0.38 cents.
Old 16th June 2010, 05:43 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Tauro,
The mouser part is a litttle bit different dimensionally and does not give a clamping force. Have you used these before in an ARC amp? Mouser is a little easier to order from and I have bought stuff there before.

I did cross check the one that looks closest and is does come up on the mouser site as:
CLP212PG Aavid Thermalloy Heatsinks

a couple pennies less. I guess I could order a couple of each and just install the closest one.

Either way will get the 2500 back in my car and the 2100 can go in wife's car and she will stop complaining that I have subs and she doesn't. haha

Thanks again guys.
Old 16th June 2010, 05:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I still have the car audio site.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

OK so after ordering 3 different clips here are my findings.

In terms of physical dimensions the CLP212PG Aavid Thermalloy Heatsinks is the closest match.

However in terms of physical fit and clamping force in the 2500CXl/XXK the CLP-212G Aavid Thermalloy Heatsinks is the better option. I installed this clip as the repair for my amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!