JL audio 300/4 sucessfull repair, but questions... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2010, 06:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default JL audio 300/4 sucessfull repair, but questions...

I've had a JL 300/4 sitting on the shelf for a while now. After some research on here, I decided to dig into it's low ohm issue. One output transistor tested low on the board and bad once I pulled it, it was replaced.

I was successful in solving the issue, and the amp now has what seems to be normal output.

I'm driving a set of 3-way MB quart Q series speakers. While this amp was down I was using an older 4 channel Kenwood amp that was loud, but not necessarily clear. Deck is a new Alpine CDA-9886 with 4V preouts.

Last night I used JL's instructions to set the gain. With no processing on the deck and the volume at 3/4 I was looking for 17.3V per channel. I could achieve this on either high or low input settings.

Question is this. It's very clear sounding, even near full volume on the deck, the issue is I can turn it up to full volume and it really could stand to be louder. I have ran these speakers with this amp before (but not this deck) and I do remember it being able to drown out the noise from my diesel.

Anything I should be looking at? Some other component in the amp, bi-wiring, bridging a side to each pair of channels maybe?

Sorry for the long post

Last edited by monkeyevil; 14th June 2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 14th June 2010, 10:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I know of no one that was ever satisfied with the gain set as JL suggests. That doesn't mean that it's not a proper way to set the gains. Most people want to be able to drive their amps harder than they can with the gains set that way.
Old 15th June 2010, 02:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
I know of no one that was ever satisfied with the gain set as JL suggests. That doesn't mean that it's not a proper way to set the gains. Most people want to be able to drive their amps harder than they can with the gains set that way.
I ended up bridging each channel, helps a lot.

Hide this!Advertise here!