Amp Stopped Working - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2010, 06:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Amp Stopped Working

I have a Desel Audio 1000 Watt 2 channel amp and it randomly stopped working. I did change it to the low pass filter because it was on full for some reason, but other than that I didnt change anything else. I dont know if I messed something up when i switched it to the LPF like i've done many times before, but it was working fine the day before. Anyone have any tips or know how to fix it? I really dont want to have to buy another amp.
Old 13th June 2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Banned

Does the amp have any indicator lights? Do they still come on?

Check any fuses, both in the plug and on the amp back panel

Make sure that the fault isn't somewhere else, such as an interconnect that has coincidentally become disconnected.

Otherwise you will have to open the case. Disconnect everything. Work on a clean uncluttered surface. Put all the fixing screws in pots, cups, jamjars, anything, just do not lose them. Photograph everything with a digital camera as you go, or take notes so you can put everything back together OK if things get complicated.

Once you have got the case apart, examine everything closely for any burn marks, or mechanical damage. Report back if you find anything.

Take some good digital pictures, in good even lighting, - not flash - so there is no glare or reflections, in good resolution and sharp. Post them on here.

w
Old 14th June 2010, 05:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

My amp has two lights that come on when working correctly, neither of them will come on. I got my DMM and opened the amp up, everything I checked has power except for the bottom right box shown in the picture, and the right side cylinder looking thing has lower power than the left one. Both ends of the cylinders look a little burnt to me, and the heat sink around them was charred, which I took off most of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0060a.jpg (186.2 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0053.JPG (125.4 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by twhittle14; 14th June 2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 14th June 2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Banned

OK, confirm for me the manufacturers name and the model number, I searched Desel 1000W on google and got no hits. A picture of the whole board showing the general arrangement would also help. Looks like a power supply problem but there might be additional damage, and it's hard to be sure on such limited information. Can you read a part number on the bottom right part you have ringed, or the part next to it?

w
Old 14th June 2010, 06:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry that was a mistype. Its a Diesel Audio NS 1000 2 channel variable HPF, LPF with bass boost. The bottom right ringed box has a few numbers on it. One is TIP41C. It also has an E and a G36. The E G36 might be the part number because the identical box to the left of it also has the same E G36 on it but the other number on it is TIP42C. Underneath the bottom right box is the number 030 written in white on the motherboard. I tried to take a picture of it all but my camera would not focus that close up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0067.JPG (147.0 KB, 135 views)
Old 14th June 2010, 10:04 PM   #6
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

At a complete guess, those two transistors generate low voltage supplies used by the opamps in the circuit. That glue looks suspiciously like the glue that is known to start being conductive. Scrape it all off.

The part numbers are TIP41C and TIP42C. The E G36 will be a batch code.

The tubes, R601 and R602 are power resistors. What resistance do they measure?
Old 14th June 2010, 11:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

They both measured at .327 ohms.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:18 AM   #8
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

OK, the transistor you had no power on. Looking from the front, with the writing, theres 3 legs. Measure the voltage on each of those 3 legs, to ground.
Old 15th June 2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Banned

Moderator please?

Could we get this moved to the car audio section?

It'll probably attract more attention from people who are familiar with this particular item...

w
Old 15th June 2010, 03:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

None of the legs on the right transistor had power. The left transistor had .209 V on the middle and right legs.

Hide this!Advertise here!