Amp Stopped Working

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't think you are supposed to use the white thermal compound with Silpads. Since the paste is there you might be OK and not tear the pads. Usually the pads get stuck to the transistor and the heatsink and are hard to remove without tearing them. It has to be done to repair it, worry about the pads later. Once you figure out what the problem is I can tell you where to find parts.

Craig

I hope they do because I dont think those are going back on. I got the circuit board off and the underside of the bad transistor and around it is darkened. It looked like one solder point might be bad.

Attachments

• PICT0053.JPG
    PICT0053.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 56
  • PICT0054.JPG
    PICT0054.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 56
  • PICT0055.JPG
    PICT0055.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 57
  • PICT0056.JPG
    PICT0056.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 57
  • PICT0057.JPG
    PICT0057.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 52
My camera wont focus up that close. But can you still think about what it might be? The amp wont turn on at all, one of the transistors isnt getting power, the heat sink around the transistor was burnt, the back of the circuit board was a brownish color around the area of the broken transistor, and it appears that one of the solder points is missing its solder.

The clips are generally unavailable. If you find a source for them, post it because a lot of people need them. For future reference, this is how you get them off and back on.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-...sistor-clamps.html?postid=1317683#post1317683

Are the clips damaged? If they are, the amp may not be repairable.

The transistors and large green resistors are the voltage regulators that produce the ±15v for the op-amps.

If neither of the transistors had significant voltage on any pin and there was no voltage on the green resistors, the power supply isn't producing rail voltage.

Check the power supply FETs. They will have their center legs directly connected to the power transformers. Measure the resistance from leg 1 to leg 2. Do any read near 0 ohms? Do this with no voltage applied.

Well great that is not good news because the clips are broken. I'm not sure what I need to check the transistors for. They all have power except that one transistor, and if by numbers you mean the part number, I posted them on the first page of this thread. Both of the green tubes are getting power but the right one had a higher voltage than the left, and both of their resistance measured at .327 ohms. One of the transistors is getting power, but the right side one isnt. I dont know too much about the parts on the amp, but I do know how to check the voltage and resistance of them if you could just explain what the parts I need to check look like. I'm not sure what the op amps are or what the power supply FET's are. I see 4 large black cylinders standing up and 2 round objects with what appears to be green and red copper wire wrapped around them. Are any of these what I need to be checking?

Attachments

• PICT0067.JPG
    PICT0067.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 19
hi, i was wondering if anybody had some input on my receiver? the receiver is a sony str-db1070 i picked up for 40$ used. it worked for the better part of the day untill i cranked it up for about 10 minutes to hear what it was capable of. it sounded great but suddenly within about 5 seconds the music got heavy static and drownded out and quit producing sound. i tried unplugging it and replugging it but no luck. i really dont know alot about this stuff and im wondering if i burnt it out with too many speakers? the display is on and everything looks normal in that aspect. there is a clicking noise now about 5 seconds after i power it on. on the front speaker A&B outpu terminals i have 4 speakers hooked to the two terminals. two are polk audio r40 floor speakers, the other two are vintage sansui floor speakers not sure what model just know they have 12 inch woofer and 4 other speakers. all 4 of these are 8ohms. i also have two wall speakers polk audio r10's in there prespective terminals left and right and a polk center speaker. the front speakers are the only ones doubled up. the amp has 4ohm and 8ohm capabilities and was set on 8ohms.....any help would be greatly apreciated. the amp is 300 watts....thank you...

Please don't post in a thread that was started by someone else unless your post relates to their question.

Click on the red triangle in the lower left corner of your post and ask a moderator to move your post (and any replies to it) to a new thread in the appropriate forum. It's not likely to get any useful replies in the car audio forum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.