Amp turning on without remote voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Kicker kx1200.1 that i am tinkering with.If I hook up the b+ and ground the light comes on and the relay kicks in.But it will do the same if you hook up just the remote and ground.
Maybe this is normal for this amp,I don't know.
All of the ps fets and outputs are removed.
Also get a spark when attaching b+ wire.I'm just trying to learn something here.Anybody got any ideas?

Can you remove it?

If you don't know how to remove it, apply additional solder to the three legs so that they'll bridge and you can heat all 3 at once. Heat them for ~2-3 seconds after the solder melts then move the iron to the tab and push the transistor toward the 3-legged side. Don't let is stick to the adjacent parts. If you have kapton tape, apply a strip of it over the adjacent so the transistor can't stick to the parts.

The spark is normal if only the initial contact creates an intense spark.

What is the DC voltage on the pads for the three legs of that transistor?

Connect only B+ and ground. Place the black meter probe on the amplifier's ground terminal. Place the red meter probe on the point where you need to measure the voltage.

See attached.

Attachments

• transistormarkedDY01.jpg
    transistormarkedDY01.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 68
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.